From 1.7b to 1.7

I'm using Elgg 1.7 beta as a product site. So, I want to know how to migrate the elgg 1.7b to elgg 1.7.

• Here are the official instructions and I think it should work:

http://docs.elgg.org/wiki/Upgrading_Elgg

However, since I've "played" around with elgg, I wanted to make sure it is totally clean and didn't simply want to overlay as there may be remaining files.  This was the procedure I followed (there maybe a better way but this worked for me ) to upgrade from 1.6.1 but should work the same way for you.

1) Take a backup of your database - I used mysqldump -uxxx -p your-db-name > db-name-dump.sql

2) create a .tar file as file backup of yourelgg directory

3) sudo mv yourelgg yourelgg_old - this copies to a directory that can be quickly be moved back.

4) unzip the elgg-1.7.zip file

5) sudo mv elgg-1.7 yourelgg 

6) set the proper permissions for yourelgg

7) go to your browser and go to yourelgg site

8) enter the db/user/pw/etc.

9) goto your browser to yourelgg/upgrade.php

10) make sure everything works with the standard plugins as is without any other plugins.

11) start moving and enabling a plugin at a time testing to make sure nothing is broken.

I would suggest you try this process on a test site first!!!

CAUTION: Needless to say but just in case its not obvious, you should NOT place your dump and tar files within your web directories, otherwise others may be able to download your dump/backup or tar files which you would most likely not want (even if directory listings are disabled)!

• @Alex Tanchoco

Thanks you very much for providing such a detailed instructions. I would try it on my test site.

Feedback and Planning

Feedback and Planning

Discussions about the past, present, and future of Elgg and this community site.