embed videos

I am totally frustrated and maybe you can help. I am using 1.7.4 and can not get the embed/upload feature to work. If I disable htmlawed I can embed a youtube video but that is not right when it say DO NOT disable. When clicking embed/upload the only choice for embed is All. All what? What am I missing? Is there suppose to be a plug-in to complement the embed/upload function? Is this a problem with 1.7.4 for security that object and embed will not populate. I tried modifying htaccess with no luck. 

Thank you

• Susan Tsairi showed me this trick so since I opened this post, I will post my fix

/mod/htmlawed/vendors/htmLawed/htmLawed.php

change this
    if(!empty($C['safe'])){
     unset($e['applet'], $e['embed'], $e['iframe'], $e['object'], $e['script']);

}

to this

if(!empty($C['safe'])){
     unset($e['applet'], $e['iframe'], $e['script']);

}

• Messing with the HTMLawed plugin and especially the vendor files is a Really Bad Idea.  You have just allowed anyone on your site to use <object> tags, which could be a big security problem.  Further, the changes shouldn't be made to the vendors includes, but to the HTMLawed config itself.

Unfortunately, there is not an easy solution in Elgg 1.7 for embedding videos.  If you choose to allow <object> you'll want to very closely monitor your site for security problems.

• @Brett

Unfortunately, there is not an easy solution in Elgg 1.7 for embedding videos.  If you choose to allow <object> you'll want to very closely monitor your site for security problems.

Well I am glad you acknowledge that there is a problem with 1.7 and embed. Now maybe the elgg will address this concern or at least figure a work around and or documentation for us as users. I have spent 18 days looking for a solution with no luck. You say there is not an  easy solution, ok, I am down with that. What is the difficult solution?

• Copied from

http://community.elgg.org/mod/groups/topicposts.php?topic=612704&group_guid=179063

Maybe we are re-iterating (too much?) BUT the security warnings have been pointed out several times before.

DhrupDeScoop
    17 days ago

Some notes on embedding and HtmlAwed are here

http://community.elgg.org/mod/groups/topicposts.php?topic=605229&group_guid=179063
    (  find "That's two different aspects" )
    and here
    http://community.elgg.org/pg/plugins/release/559357/developer/openid_482/tinymcertl
    ( here do a find on "The way to allow video linking is to edit the Htmlawed $CONFIG" - have a look at the code Bujji coded there for start.php )

The htmlawed.php is the inner htmlawed code ported into Elgg wrapped by the PlugIn - but the control is of htmlawed done via start.php ;-)

• Been thinking on this. A solution would be to let HtmlAwed it's job and make this embed code safe. Upon page rendering - one can trigger code which will detect the softened-up and safe and re-render it properly - if and only if the url looks like "http://www.YOUTUBE.com/...." - no real exposure, no embed functionality loss. Should work.

• OK - y'all - I'm playing around with->

1. Trying to embed a YouTube video - WITH HTMLAWED so that I can see under the hood - what does not work.
    2. Next I want to try some funky code to allow the YouTube video to be allowed - WITHOUT MESSING with HTMLAWED at all ;- )

I may know my Elgg coding, but I am definitely not too familiar with actually playing with these PlugIns and enbedding videos,, etc as a standard site-use would and so....

I invite those who have had problems with YouTube embeds to stand up and be counted and guide me thru the user experience - something good will come from this experiment.. if you care to partner in my video embed experiments ;-)

• @Thrup

Thanks for looking in to this part of the code. I know that a lot of us will benefit. I mean if we can't share a video then we are not really being social. Videos play such an important part in the social life of todays humans.   For most it is how we gather information, not true? Well all I can say is News at 11 on channel (you fill in the blank)

• @Steve ;-)

There's a "D" at front of my first name not a "T" LOLZ

It is 2AM here - I is gonna hit the sack sometime soon...

I re-iterate - " invite those who have had problems with YouTube embeds to stand up and be counted and guide me thru the user experience - something good will come from this experiment.. if you care to partner in my video embed experiments ;-)..."

I wonder how few/ many will step forward - the fewer that chip in with DeScoop means that fewer will get the benefits...

• @Dhrup

I am so sorry, I typed it how I said said it. I hope the pronunciation was correct?