how to measure performance of Elgg

Hi,

can anybody help me with this issue. I need benchmark tools for ellg which can test the performance

in order to deploy elgg later.

• This question is difficult to answer because it's so broad.  Can you narrow down exactly what you want to benchmark?

Also, google has a ton of information about benchmarking websites.  Have you looked at any of that info?

• Brett, a lot of users are asking about Elgg's performance. I think it would be very usefull for a platform if there was a tutorial on how to measure it's performance in various aspects and how to optimize server's configuration, with maybe a few use-cases of a bigger Elgg sites.

I remember that just after I started working with Elgg I was on a verge of deciding to switch to a different platform because of a (later to be proved wrong) concerns that it had a very unoptimized database structure.

• @Mike - sounds like we have a volunteer!

• Cash, I would gladly start such tutorial :) In fact, this is a good start already. I think the most valuable data would come from Curverider though, as I suppose you have the most experience with scaling really large sites. I can write tutorial eg. on optimizing Memchache, but my experience with optimizing Elgg are limited to websites with max of 15k users. Elgg.org has 40k users, Brighton community has 70k users, I suppose there are websites even bigger than them.

I think it would be a really great aid for new users if you could share experience from hosting those sites in some form of a case study.

I suppose this is too complex question for an "ask Elgg" feature though :)

• Y'all welcome to PM us re: FBFK @ ~174K userBase

Performance and Scalability

Performance and Scalability

If you've got a need for speed, this group is for you.