Cannot login to my Elgg site

Not with my admin ID, nor with an ordinary user test ID that I created.

When I try to login, that doesn't happen, and I am left at the home page (no error msg). I can get to all the public pages of the site, but obviously can't add a comment, upload a file, or perform any admin functions. Presumably ALL my users are similarly locked out. I do have access (via File Manager and other cPanel tools) to the back end.

This happened suddenly today. I left a comment on my site 9 hours ago. (But that was not a fresh login; I'm usually continuously logged in.)

I've made no changes in the past nine hours. I upgraded to 1.7.6 a few days ago (several days ago?). There have been no other changes. And there's been lots of user activity since  1/1/2011 (so it's evidently not any sort of 'new year' glitch.)

I disabled all plugins, and that did not help.

Help!

• what is the address of your website? What hosting provider are you using?

Rodolfo Hernandez
    Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• I see this message on my PHP Admin panel:

This MySQL server has been running for 2 days, 1 hours, 1 minutes and 55 seconds. It started up on Jan 07, 2011 at 06:44 PM.

That puts the startup right in the window of when this problem occurred with my site. From what I've read on these threads, a 'cannot login' problem is usually attributed to a DB problem. Can anyone confirm that?

Also, there are 300+ instances of this error in my error log:

[Sun Jan 09 19:54:04 2011] [error] [client 108.6.177.33] PHP WARNING: 2011-01-09 19:54:04 (EST): "unlink(/tmp/sess_ffcba6cedbb49fc35ad667376a20e337) [<a href='function.unlink'>function.unlink</a>]: Operation not permitted" in file /home/sslego/public_html/engine/lib/sessions.php (line 716), referer: http://brickcollections.com/

Should I "Refresh?" or "Reset?" ... or take some other step?

I CHMOD /tmp to 777 ... but that did not help. Ran upgrade.php afterwards. Not sure how to clear the cache when I can't get into the admin panel (and re-order a plugin, etc.).

I sure would appreciate any help, as my site has been 'dead-in-the-water' for two days now. :(

Thanks.

• yes, you are correct, it is usually a database problem. I tried to register, nothing. Does display any other error? are you using shared or vps?

Rodolfo Hernandez

• No error message is displayed. I am on shared hosting.

• it seems other people are having can't login problems, maybe a 1.7.6 issue?

• Cim, it could be a 1.7.6 issue, we have to make more research about this problem before confirming this.

Stephen, do you have a backup of your database? Could you check if you database is broken or have any kind of problem?

Rodolfo Hernandez

• it could be a 1.7.6 issue because i've never had this problem before the current release.

stephen, try renaming one or more or all of your plugins and see if it's a plugin issue. if that doesn't work, then try repairing your database. repair all tables, recently i couldn't log in cuz one table was corrupted and it was user session table

• just the plugin folder? and/or some file within the folder?

My last backup was a few weeks ago. As far as I can tell, the only suspicious activity on the DB is that since it restarted on Jan 7, I have not been able to login.  Should I "Refresh" or "Reset?" Those are two options that PHP Admin shows. Should I flush the query cache? Flush all tables? (If those steps won't hurt, I'll try them and see.)

Performed a check of the DB:

sslego_elgg239.elgg_access_collection_membership OK sslego_elgg239.elgg_access_collections OK sslego_elgg239.elgg_annotations warning : 4 clients are using or haven't closed the table properly status : OK sslego_elgg239.elgg_api_users OK sslego_elgg239.elgg_config OK sslego_elgg239.elgg_datalists warning : 4 clients are using or haven't closed the table properly status : OK

sslego_elgg239.elgg_entities warning : 4 clients are using or haven't closed the table properly status : OK

sslego_elgg239.elgg_entity_relationships warning : 1 client is using or hasn't closed the table properly status : OK

sslego_elgg239.elgg_entity_subtypes OK

sslego_elgg239.elgg_geocode_cache note : The storage engine for the table doesn't support check

sslego_elgg239.elgg_groups_entity OK

sslego_elgg239.elgg_hmac_cache note : The storage engine for the table doesn't support check

sslego_elgg239.elgg_metadata warning : 3 clients are using or haven't closed the table properly status : OK

sslego_elgg239.elgg_metastrings warning : 3 clients are using or haven't closed the table properly status : OK

sslego_elgg239.elgg_objects_entity warning : 3 clients are using or haven't closed the table properly status : OK

sslego_elgg239.elgg_private_settings warning : 1 client is using or hasn't closed the table properly status : OK

sslego_elgg239.elgg_river OK

sslego_elgg239.elgg_sites_entity OK

sslego_elgg239.elgg_system_log warning : 4 clients are using or haven't closed the table properly status : OK

sslego_elgg239.elgg_system_log_1283978602 OK sslego_elgg239.elgg_system_log_1286398078 OK sslego_elgg239.elgg_system_log_1288817293 OK sslego_elgg239.elgg_system_log_1288817297 OK sslego_elgg239.elgg_system_log_1288817298 OK sslego_elgg239.elgg_system_log_1288817299 OK sslego_elgg239.elgg_system_log_1291236506 OK sslego_elgg239.elgg_system_log_1293655780 OK

sslego_elgg239.elgg_users_apisessions note : The storage engine for the table doesn't support check

sslego_elgg239.elgg_users_entity warning : 4 clients are using or haven't closed the table properly status : OK

sslego_elgg239.elgg_users_sessions warning : Table is marked as crashed warning : 4 clients are using or haven't closed the table properly error : Record at pos: 210620 is not remove-marked error : record delete-link-chain corrupted error : Corrupt

Any comment on the items marked "Corrupt?" Are these the cause?

• sslego_elgg239.elgg_users_sessions warning : Table is marked as crashed warning : 4 clients are using or haven't closed the table properly error : Record at pos: 210620 is not remove-marked error : record delete-link-chain corrupted error : Corrupt

ahh... yes, like cim, repair all tables. I really can tell about refresh or reset. Never used those options