Where is DhrupDeScoop?

I cannot see his profilepage on Elgg anymore. I wonder where is DhrupDeScoop ... does anyone know?

• i had a message from him yesterday which was brief and didn't seem to have any context in relation to community activity.. 

now his account is closed

• he just mailed me a message to say that he has been banned for 24 hours for posting certain words on a spammer's profile page!

• Wow on a spammers page LOL how funny

• I thought I saw him at the NCAA tournament wearing a multi-colored wig. But then again he could have been the guy at Walmart wearing a paisley shirt and plaid pants - cool, really cool and hip threads he had on.

• Sometimes strange things happen on this Elgg Community site, some funny actions being taken by the Elgg Admins...

I happened to see some lousy spammer last night posting junk here on Pages and so I posted the F word on that spammer's spam ;-)

The result and appropriate action taken by the Elgg Admins was to Ban *me for 24 hours LOLZ ;-) What a nice way to treat probablt one of the most famous and well known Elggsters ? which is what I believe I have been since the very early days of this community and also the Google Elgg groups. I believe I have posted far more content and advice and generally helped so many Elgg community people. And they treated me like this ?

They will not take my Pages anti-spam code and block such spam here, but they have the good sense to ban me ;-P

There is sooo much I can impart from my experience woith an Elgg-based website that is about 5X bigger than even this Elgg community, but nooo they do not want that !

And so here I am posting with a new registered UserID until Brett, Cash, Evan find out and ban this UserID as well.. or maybe ban me forever ;-)

But I am not worried nor crying - I have Plans for http://ELgGalaxy.Com to promote Elgg to the ultimate-est very soon. Join me there once I can get things set-up and gong soon.

Regards,
    DC.

• Dhrup, I've spoken to you before about using obscenities on this site. If a user is posting spam, abusing another user, posting inappropriate incontent or whatever, please just click the "report this" link. Sometimes we are slow about responding, but that should get better soon. I think one of the possible GSoC students is working on adding email notifications when an report is made.

Also, we have already discussed your pages hack. It blocks legitimate use of the pages tool.

• I don't think there's any sense in commenting on spam postings, neither seriously nor using obscenities. The spammers won't read these comments anyway. On the other hand, each reply pushes these postings again on top of the activity stream and produces unnecessary additional attention.

Best think is to just click on "Report this" like Cash said - although it's sometimes hard to not post an angry reply...

The report feature surely could get improved for dealing with spam, especially human spammers who override any anti-bot filters. The slowness in responding on spam reports could be avoided with some automatic blocking trigger if the same posting is reported several times in a short time as I tried to suggest here: http://community.elgg.org/pg/forum/topic/686535/idea-antihuman-spammer-approach.

• @iionly: this is a pretty good idea and we have implemented the same for a big elgg install. If a content is reported more than 4 times we make theowner banned. Its very easy to achieve and very effective..

• @IIOnly:

I'm with your simple idea of that logic to deternine that the postings are most likely spam.

How about we just do not post Pages/Blogs create/ updates to the river ? ;-) So we only see news of posts from our "Friends" ? Go to FB and you'll not see posts from the whole world - only your circle !

The only other technology that I have been researching deals with bots "hammering" the server - like a legitimate search engine crawler. The algorithm involved in this gives -ve points and too many hits, blocks the same source form any further server communication - if they try and try again, they keep collecting more negative points and cannot post, etc so so much longer.

• I was thinking a points kinda system for spam control. I see on some forums that you may not post a new thread till you get something.

So, may be apply a restriction like that, however it would be like "sorry you need to have at least four friends to start blogging" or like "You have to be at least a week old in this site to start blogging, in the meantime use our other features..." or "It seems that your profile is empty and you just sign up, please fill your profile and wait a week to start posting blogs"

This could be useful for human spammers, which are hard to control.