Presentations?...

Does anybody know if there is anyway to be able to allow users to upload not just video, images and audio with the Kaltura plugin which I am now avidly using but also PowerPoint Presentations? Pretty much like is done on Slideshow, as it doesn't seem like they give the ability to use their systems with any form of API access etc.

Regards,

• I take it nobody uploads presentations in their elgg site's and plays them within Kaltura's plugin then? :(

• we use a highly modified version of the Kaltura plug-in. Nice idea- Is there a way to export Powerpoint or similar to .flv file or another video format?- this would resolve it to a certain extent?

• @ keny - to gain the highly modified version of kaltura, was this done in house or freelanced out, out of interest? Maybe you could let me know what you have done as such to the standard kaltura plugin, so I know what it "can" do past the basic version in the wild?

Regards,

• @Keny

Is your version of Kaltura PlugIn already published on the community ?

Please send me the link for a download of your version, thank you.

• I've been doing some reading up on this as possible easiest ways to enable power point presentation's to be included in a plugin, as can't find anything definitive on the Kaltura forums. (But will post this same question on there this arvo)

As previously mentioned Slideshare.net seems to be possible and the most realistic after reading some of their resources and there are different ways of integrating it.

It does mentio a MediaWiki way, now if memory serves me correct, there is an elgg MediaWiki plugin already isn't there?

Very interestingly is a version of an app somebody's already done that uses RSS feeds to get the Slideshare presenttions, could this possible be integrated directly in SimplePie, or a slightly different variant of this be made for this purpose?

Take a look here..

The way I see it, is by doing it in the above links ways, this would mean an elgg based sites end user would have to go themselves to Slideshare.net and register for an account there? Then they would be able to upload any of their presentations etc via our elgg based sites, I think anyway.

That maybe best if a little of a pain in the arse for our end users, but the cost of hosting our own hosted presentation's for small yet to expand user growth elgg based sites could be costly, let alone for elgg sites with the need for presentation uploading feature that have thousands of users alread.

In an ideal world we could all afford from the off dedicated server / hosting accounts but it's never that easy, so hosted elsewhere like slideshare.net but a plugin / widget for our elgg based sites would probably suit most of us?

Unless I get positive feedback to my forthcoming Kaltura post on this subject, that it can be integrated and without too much trouble etc, I think the above avenue would bring us Powerpoint, Openoffice and PDF (Including MS Office Docs that can now be saved as PDF in 2007 versions etc) to our customer base if you require that kind of feature.

Regards,