Missing notification emails

Hello, I am using Elgg 1.7.8 in my installation. I found strange problem. SOme of my notification emails are missing.  Some emails like registartion emails, also private message emails. 

Any clue for the problem behind . Or check for the problem.

• Can you go into more detail? Did you check spam folder?

• Yes, I already checked, earlier I thought may be delay in sending or receiving emails. 

But after some time I realized, really some emails were missing.

Likewise,  when I was using private message continously with a user, It send me notification for first message. but then for next 3 messages emails were missing. and after that again i started getting emails.

Also a user while creating his account not received the registration email. not even in spam. but after sometime. another user sucessfully received emails.

• I've had this similar issue in the past. From what I can remember it seems that the users who don't receive the email notifications tend to all come from certain email hosters. Not sure if that helps much. 

• yes, i had the same problem too.. i receive some mails and it won't comes for many times. i'm using the elgg 1.7.8 too.

• The problem is that some email providers (hotmail, msn, aol, gmail, ...) seem pretty strict on filtering spam emails. Unfortunately, they identify Elgg's status emails (at registering, informing about new content, etc. ) often as spam as these emails are quite alike. It seeems that these emails get sometimes blocked and won't reach the destination at all. In the worst case the providers even blacklist your domain resulting in other email providers blocking your emails, too.

First thing is to check if your domain is on a blacklist. For example the following sites are a good starting point to check:

http://www.spamhaus.org

http://www.senderbase.org

You should get your IP removed from these blacklists. Also, getting in contact with the email providers to ask them what might be the problem can help. Often you get a nondelivery notification email telling you why the mail wasn't delivered - sometimes the email addresses are simply not valid.

Then you can try to improve the credibility of your email server. Maybe you can enable for example Sender Policy Framework (SPF) and/or DomainKeys in the control panel of your server. This allows for verification of the email server sending the emails and some email providers (all connected with MS - hotmail, msn, live.com) rely on such verification methods.

Aol (maybe others too) wants a valid PTR record for reverse DNS lookups or they block emails. Most likely you won't be able to set up this PTR record yourself. You should ask your hoster if it's set up correctly.

You can also try to reduce the amount of emails sent to not getting blacklisted or getting blacklisted again. By default email notifications are on. This plugin turns them off by default:

http://community.elgg.org/pg/plugins/project/508256/developer/gushbellino/set-no-notifications

• I've started having the notifications sent to the site mail as well as my personal mail account. That way, if I don't get a notification delivered to my e-mail client, I can still see it on the Elgg site.