How to add the wire and riverdash to a custom page?

How to add the wire and river to a custom page?

• echo the correct views into your custom page.

• // left column

// Top box for login or welcome message

if (elgg_is_logged_in()) {

$top_box = "<h2>" . elgg_echo("welcome") . " ";

$top_box .= elgg_get_logged_in_user_entity()->name;

$top_box .= "</h2>";

} else {

$top_box = $vars['login'];

}

echo elgg_view_module('featured',  '', $top_box, array('header' => false));

// a view for plugins to extend

echo elgg_view("index/lefthandside");

// files

if (elgg_is_active_plugin('file')) {

echo elgg_view_module('featured',  elgg_echo("custom:files"), $vars['files']);

}

// groups

if (elgg_is_active_plugin('groups')) {

echo elgg_view_module('featured',  elgg_echo("custom:groups"), $vars['groups']);

}

???????????

• @Spike -- What is the purpose of the code you've posted ? There is no mention of the words 'wire' and 'river' in there' ;) So how does that code relate to '..add the wire and riverdash' ??

• Thx Steve, but I'm using version 1.8 =/

@DhrupDeScoop

@Spike -- What is the purpose of the code you've posted ? There is no mention of the words 'wire' and 'river' in there' ;) So how does that code relate to '..add the wire and riverdash' ??

I noticed this code can be used to get a few widgets, I tried to make a few changes but couldnt get any. Perhaps you can tell me how can I make the changes

For example:

// groups

if (elgg_is_active_plugin('groups')) {

echo elgg_view_module('featured',  elgg_echo("custom:groups"), $vars['groups']);

}

I tried to change to:

if (elgg_is_active_plugin('riverdash')) {

echo elgg_view_module('riverdash',  elgg_echo("custom:riverdash"), $vars['riverdash']);

}

To get riverdash, but didn work.

• There is no Plugin called 'riverdash' in 1.8

Are you making 'wild guesses' about the code and the logic inside Elgg ?

• @Spike: you have to learn to crawl before you can walk. If you really want to make changes to your elgg install, first you have to analyze it. After that, then things will be easy. If you don't spend the time to do that...you'll get nowhere.

If it's worth your time to develop elgg, then do the analysis.

•  

@Spike: you have to learn to crawl before you can walk. If you really want to make changes to your elgg install, first you have to analyze it. After that, then things will be easy. If you don't spend the time to do that...you'll get nowhere.

If it's worth your time to develop elgg, then do the analysis.

I thought that was what I was doing. I'm sorry if I dont have the same ammount of knowlegde and wisdom you have, but I can asure you that before coming here, I've already tried a lot of things and hurt my back a long time sitting on the chair, if you cant simple tell me the name of a function or something like that, there is no need to talk to me as if I were a lazy.

• @spike: I'm not attacking you, but this is perhaps the 3rd or 4th topic about working with the riverdash and thewire you've made in 2 days. 

If you're finding it hard to comprehend how the elgg system works, learn about it. There are plenty of resources on this site (look at the top right of the page and click on documentation). Look at the http://reference.elgg.org/1.8/ for 1.8.x functions to learn what they do and how they work.

If after all of that you're still having issues then come back and ask. 

If what you're asking was amazingly simple then:

A) most likely you wouldn't be asking it
    B) someone would have given you the answer by now

But imagine the possibilities when you learn how to do what you're asking. You'll be able to put any "view" into any "page". The answer lies in the documentation. 

P.S. sitting in your chair all the time doesn't leave much time for crawling/walking :) don't bash your head on the desk too much. Things take time to learn, that's why we spend 1/4 of our lives in educational institutes. More speed less haste my friend.

P.P.S - you are onto the right path with the code above. But as D says, riverdash isn't a plugin so that function won't return what you're looking for. You know riverdash isn't a plugin because you can't see it in your plugin list. However, you can see dashboard...

http://reference.elgg.org/1.8/views_8php.html#a79d11c0241b6a1fa8d832150b3415f7a

• There is no ' simple tell me the name of a function or something like that..' answer for adding the wire and riverdash to a custom page - there is quite some degree of coding involved - knowledge of Elgg's internals will help.

' same ammount of knowlegde and wisdom you have.. ' One can't knock Trajan's attitude ! - he was exactly like you some time back when when he started with Elgg ;-) He barely knew how to spell Elgg then. I'm sure that he remembers those days fondly... but he is @somewhere else now w.r.t to Elgg...