Automatic Pagination

Would be interesting have the infinite scroll plugin into core?

If yes, should it be a part of core o a bundled plugin?

Which integration it would have with 'pagination' param? For the moment it is a bool, but it could have three values: false, true and 'auto'.

Would be interesting ajaxify it to also load the new entities of any list (twitter style)?

Do I begin a branch in my github, and then you pull it?

• AGPL code included in Elgg core? No thank you. If you would release it under GPLv2 it would be different. Still, it should be optional to activate infinite scrolling - best would be to make this even a user setting. Is it necessary to include it in core because some functionality can't be provided if not? If the answer to this question is "no", then please keep it as a separate 3rd party plugin. There are other features I would prefer to be included in core before.

• I've yet to try it, but my gut reaction is yes AND no. I think the core should have all the necessary infrastructure to do it (low level views and JS), but should leave it to 3rd party plugins to enable it and provide options for who sees it and where. The reasoning is that it would be hard to reach consensus about those decisions for a bundled plugin. I could be wrong here.

@iionly: from trac "By submitting a patch, language file or plugin you are agreeing to license it under a  GPLv2 license and  MIT license."

• @sem: why not propose it in a trac issue?

• As I said before, I personally don't like this behavior (thanks for starting this fad, Facebook...) so whatever is done with it should most definitely be optional.

• +1 for pushing ajax pagination to core. It can be with the infinite scroll or other ajaxified methods like load more on request or something. We have to move on with the technology. Making the page reload for every offset is outdated also time and BW consuming.

sem's approach make it difficult to use the footer links on the page. Because when you scroll down it will load contents and again you have to scroll. It just like following your shadow.

• +1 for pushing ajax pagination to core... We have to move on with the technology...

i completely agree with Team Webgalli!!!!

• I should probably clarify that I'm not against ajax'd pagination itself - just the scrolling trigger for it.  I'd be perfectly happy with with an ajax 'more' button.

• AGPL code included in Elgg core?

If we include this in the core, we automatically re-release the code under MIT+GPL

why not propose it in a trac issue?

We can use this one: #2596 (ajaxify pagination)

It can be with the infinite scroll or other ajaxified methods like load more on request or something.

sem's approach make it difficult to use the footer links on the page.

This needs more discussion, but maybe the solution is implement both, and select which we want in the plugins settings. Should load more button be the default behavior?