• Updated: 2012-9-17
  • Downloads: 620
  • Recommendations: 7

Releases

Previous releases:

Other Projects

View rjcalifornia's plugins

SW Files Filter Pro for Elgg 1.8

A plugin that will allow certain type of files to be uploaded with the file plugin in elgg 1.8

Last updated 567 days ago

Since elgg 1.7 there has been several requests about how to restrict some file types to be uploaded with the file plugin.

Now, in elgg 1.8 the situation is pretty much the same. There's no tool available that will let you choose which file types can be uploaded in your elgg network.

For that reason, SW Social Web brings you this plugin, which will filter which file types can be uploaded. It's pretty simple: You can select any file type without having to find or type its MIME type.

Please keep in mind that it has to process the file first before it detects what kind of file it is. This is a standard and accepted procedure. I read many tech forums, and they strongly recommend to rely on server, if we want to filter file types.

We really hope you find it useful.

Thanks Dhrup for the help! =D

Release Notes:

-Filtering file types. Admin can choose which he can allow.

-No themes conflicts

-No plugins conflicts

-Files plugin required

-GPL

I made this plugin because there have been tons of requests since elgg 1.7 to filter MIME Types. It might not be the 'prettiest' code but it works.

The file has to be uploaded before filtering. This is standard for filtering file types. I was planning to filter via browser, but it is widely recommended to rely on the server, rather than on the web browser.

Ideally, a Flash Uploader will be better, 'cause you could 'hide' non-allowed files. But this works.

I will add more MIME types in a week.

Comments

• rjcalifornia 567 days ago

Finally, I could fix the release version!

Comments are welcome. Keep in mind that you must make sure elgg detects mime type properly. If not, this plugin will not work at all.

• Abhijit Maske 560 days ago

how to remove download this button on file page!!!!!

plz help

• Codemmunity 525 days ago

Pls add video files pls

• Eric 237 days ago

I like this plugin rj but ofcourse I would like to share my thoughts on it as well:) Thinking/being a user I would like to think in file types as a user meaning not in actual file extensions but type of files eg. I want to prohibit images because I use tidypics so I expect all kinds of image extensions to be blocked if I configure that. Or video's eg all video extensions are prohibited because I only use the video plugin for saving drivespace reasons or I only want documents so all other extensions are blocked and only .doc,.docx,.pdf,.txt,.ode etc. In short I would like to be able to configure types and not file extensions though ofcourse it would be nice if I could manage the extensions belonging to the types I just mentioned to keep it 100% configurable :) It is just a thought, this plugin is a great start to configure what is acceped as a file upload, thanks!

• rjcalifornia 236 days ago

File extensions is the best way to filter uploads. I know and I understand, in fact the best way to do this is either using Java or Flash based uploader.

A top reason why I didn't enhance this plugin is that I don't see much interest from elgg users, so it is here so that anyone can grab it, enhance it and upload his own version. Just like I did with the Google docs files we developed, someone grabbed and enhanced it and was awesome.

Regards,