• Updated: 2013-11-6
  • Downloads: 655
  • Recommendations: 11

Releases

Previous releases:

Other Projects

View iionly's plugins

[Elgg 1.8+1.9: Minimal Hide Search Box plugin] for Elgg 1.8

This plugin hides the seach box from site visitors not logged-in.

Last updated 168 days ago

This plugin contains the most simple code to hide the search box from site visitors who are not logged-in.

No framework necessary!

I thought it would be enough guidance when I posted the complete code necessary in the discussion thread where this question was asked. But it seems copy+paste is not as easy as I thought...

Even more annoying when some people take the ready-to-use code and blow it out of proportion with some unneeded "framework" (aka "self-praise") dependencies...

Which version of the plugin to use on which version of Elgg?

Actually, version 1.0 would also work on Elgg 1.9 without changes but I've released a new version just to avoid the question "does it work on Elgg 1.9?" and to get in-sync with my usual version numbering system. So, for Elgg 1.9 use version 1.9.0 of the plugin while Elgg 1.8 requires 1.0.

Install instructions:

1. Copy the plugin folder in your mod directory,
  2. Enable the plugin in the admin section of your site,
  3. Done.

Release Notes:

First and most likely last release.

Comments

• iconMatrix 574 days ago

Love it!

• costakisc 574 days ago

lulz

• Arsalan Shah ( Liang Lee ) 574 days ago

@iionly grate, tell me one thing that why people abuse other projects?

• TheMuller 574 days ago

I love chick fights. Some mud please..?!

Recommend plugin, thanx

• sadraICT 574 days ago

Love it thnx.

• rjcalifornia 573 days ago

Awesome :D

• costakisc 573 days ago

funny, i saw a code almost identical to this that somebody added a framework to, after they copied and pasted this code from a comment, and added a copyright to..........what a smuck that guy is. Recommended plugin, nice job iionly

• DhrupDeScoop 573 days ago

@costa:

PlZ tellme -- what's a 'smuck' ?
    and who r u tokkin abt anyways ?

• costakisc 573 days ago
    an obnoxious or contemptible person. and will keep it polite and not actually name him, but i think he is one of your favorite people on here..lulz.  I believe he was the reason behind the creation of this plugin  
    :p
  • DhrupDeScoop 571 days ago

This is the code (for hiding the search box for non-logged-in users) as written by IIOnly for his 'minimal_hide_search' plugin :-
    <?php
    elgg_register_event_handler('init', 'system', 'minimal_hide_search_init');
    function minimal_hide_search_init(){
    if(!elgg_is_logged_in()){
        elgg_unextend_view('page/elements/header', 'search/header');
        }
    }
    ?>
    GRAND TOTAL #Lines = 4
    ELGG TOTAL #Lines = 2
    no fat, no cholesterol, no mascara, no framework - *only *four *lines of php code . anyone is quite free and welcome to not use IIOnly's mean lean short to-the-point plugin or to use any other plugin - that might perform similar functions and fufils needs -  even if people might just be happy with the other plugin's size :-
    GRAND TOTAL #Lines = 269  ?
    ELGG TOTAL #Lines = 16 ?
    there is freedom to choose in this world of elgg plugins - choose 4 lines or choose 269 lines of code for your plugins - whatever helps you make your day and your website better for you.

• GuuugleMe 515 days ago

whell, some people think that they will be more popular and famose if they have "created" hundreds of plugins, even if they are just copy-paste and masked with some unnesesery codes, and the biger the plugin is the better it should be... hm, maybe that works for kindergarten fans, but for me, and probably for 99,99 % of users the most popular programmers are those who write compatibile and usefull plugins and who upgrade or modifie those hundreds of plugins which are old and abandoned by their own creator... and for me, even better are those who can combine two or more plugins into one, functional... i,m just tired of those red error messages because uncompatibility... I immediately remember of BSOD on windows... old programmer will probably remember how annoying was the time of BSOD  :(  So, please, copy, paste, merge, combine, write, test, do anything what is needed to give us, users, plugins which will work no matter what you must do... "the purpose justifieds the means" or in my language: "cilj opravdava sredstva" ... tnx <3

• xhipri09 296 days ago

@iionly I have downloaded your plugin but cannot make hide searchbox for non logged in users with my theme... With the default theme it is possible but with my theme it isn t... I have the searchbox in topbar and my code for page/elements/topbar.php is:

?>

<div class="elgg-navbar">
    <div class="elgg-navbar-inner">
    <?php echo elgg_view_menu('topbar', array('sort_by' => 'priority', array('elgg-menu-hz'))); ?>
    <?php echo elgg_view('search/search_box', array('class' => 'elgg-search-topbar')); ?>
    </div><!-- /.elgg-navbar-inner -->
    </div><!-- /.elgg-navbar -->

shall I have to modify something of the code of your plugin to work?

Apreciate any help.. it gets me crazy this thing..

• iionly 296 days ago

@xhipri09: this plugin here will only remove the search box when it has been added to the page/elements/header view. This will work with the default theme and other themes that does not modify the default setup. This plugin will not work when the search box has been added to other views.

For your theme plugin (with the code you posted in your message) it should work by modifying the line

<?php echo elgg_view('search/search_box', array('class' => 'elgg-search-topbar')); ?>

Change it to

<?php if (elgg_is_logged_in()) { echo elgg_view('search/search_box', array('class' => 'elgg-search-topbar'));} ?>

• xhipri09 296 days ago

@iionly, it works!! Thank you very much!!

• S.Brady.Hussain 162 days ago

thank you lol omg you kill it for plugis! iionly  ^_^ 

• mKasim 11 days ago

@costicasik :

If i know it right, all plugins shared in this elgg community are GNU General Public Licensed and so free for changes and no real copyrights, but you may have to mark the original script. Due to the GPL agreement, the editor has to notice that its a modified script.

All plugins may be taken by someone to modify and change it, so the plugins get better by the way. Thats actually whats this community is ment for and thats why I like the elgg community at all :)

So don't be feared bout copyrights. You may still be able to modify the plugins and change it like you wish for your use, but those modifying iionly's scripts and sharing "their" plugins by creating dumb freamworks without a note that its a modified script of iionly, may have violated with the GPL agreements and have violated with copyrights themselves... lol