• Recommendations: 5

Releases

Previous releases:

Other Projects

View Ben Werdmuller's plugins

Persona for Elgg 1.8

Mozilla Persona support for Elgg

Last updated 474 days ago

This plugin, for Elgg 1.8+, adds a Persona login button to your Elgg site.

Persona is a simple authentication mechanism created by Mozilla, inspired by one-click authentication mechanisms like Facebook Connect and Twitter authentication. The difference is that Persona is designed to be decentralized, so that no company is able to track their users across the entire web. It's also super simple and beautifully designed. You can read more about Persona at: http://mozilla.org/persona/

To install:

• Place the persona folder into your mod directory
  • Click "settings" on the Persona entry in your site administration and switch on authentication

Bug tracker: click the "code repository" link to your right.

Comments

• Ben Borges 473 days ago

I dont see it anywhere after enabling it...elgg 1.8.8..
    is there something else to do ?

• Ben Werdmuller 472 days ago

You do need to click on the plugin's Settings entry, set the authentication option to on, and hit save. If it's still not displaying after that, let me know - it extends the login view, like most of the other auth plugins, so you should see the button.

• Ben Borges 472 days ago

Oh indeed, saved and now its displaying ! thanks for the support !

• rjcalifornia 472 days ago

Good to see you back here!

• Daniel Füleki 471 days ago

@BenWerd: hope to see you around here from now on. Elgg is not a project to be abandoned... Closed working communities are the future! (Even if the takeoff is somewhat sluggish.)

• ura soul 462 days ago

different ways of looking at this subject.. 
    having all the logins available in one location would make it a primary target for hacking.. why is mozilla more trustworthy than other groups?

i would be interested to use a solution like this that actually works, however, there isn't enough info on the mozilla page about the security and other details for me..
    does anyone have any links that might explain more? thanks 

• Ben Werdmuller 462 days ago

Ura Soul: the idea is that, eventually, the identity system will be completely decentralize and built into everybody's browsers. The current JS-based implementation is a shim until that happens. It'll find its way into Firefox properly soon.

• Ben Werdmuller 462 days ago

Completelydecentralized, that is.

• Matt Bury 444 days ago

Hi Ben,

First, thanks for developing this. I've installed and tested the Wordpress.org version and no problems there.

However, on my Elgg I installed, activated the Persona for Elgg 1.8 plugin. My Elgg is set up so that only the login page shows when users aren't logged in. I then logged out and tried to log in via Persona. The popup worked, I logged in via Persona but my Elgg login page kept redirecting to itself, effectively stuck in a loop. I had to flush the browser cache to break the loop, log in normally a deactivate Persona.

Hope you can work out what happened and why and fix it!

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions. I'm only too pleased to help with your project.

Matt