Previous releases:

Other Projects

View Ismayil Kharedinov's plugins

hypeInbox for Elgg 1.8

Enhanced inbox and user-to-user messaging for Elgg

Last updated 223 days ago

Enhanced inbox and user-to-user messaging for Elgg

Features

• Define new message types and messaging rules (based on sender and recipient roles and relationships)
  • Multiple inboxes for private messages, notifications and custom message types
  • Message threading - messages are grouped based on message title and recipients
  • Multi-user threads
  • Message attachments
  • Policing includes user roles integration with hypeApprove and roles (extendable via hooks)

Attributions / Credits

• Plugin is inspired and partially sponsored by Whitemoor School
  • UI Icon by Glyphicons http://glyphicons.com/

Usage / Configuration

The plugin allows you to define new types of communication between users. To configure new message types, you can use recipient roles, sender roles and relationships between them

For example, if you would like to allow users to send 'homework' to their supervisors, you would use the following configuration:

• Sender type: Any user
  • Recipient type: Supervisor
  • Relationship: Supervisor
  • Inverse relationship: yes
  • Group relationship: --blank--

Another example, if you would like to allow Editors to send 'notices' to Administrators, you would use the following:

• Sender type: Editor
  • Recipient type: Administrator
  • Relationship: --blank--
  • Inverse relationship: --blank--
  • Group relationship: --blank--

Another example, if you would like to allow Group exchange between members of the same group, you would use the following:

• Sender: Any user
  • Recipient: Any user
  • Relationship: --blank--
  • Inverse relationship: --blank--
  • Group relationship: member

Notes

• hypeFramework is not required

Release Notes:

1.9.0 - 1.9.1

- Ensure that private messages and notifications are not accidentally replaced by other message types

- Bugfixes

Comments

• Jeroen Dalsem 218 days ago

Wow... looking great.

• Ismayil Kharedinov 218 days ago

Jeroen, it would be great to incorporate PM profile types. Not time at the moment, but pull requests are welcome.

• Krischan 218 days ago

IMHO, this and a few other outstanding plugins (profile/widget manager etc.) should really become core plugins in 1.9 if that wasn't been decided already ;)

• Ismayil Kharedinov 217 days ago

IMHO, this is too heavy-weight for core. We are yet to find out what the performance hit on this and how well it scales. I followed the patterns from the messages plugin, but the number of joins is ridiculous to be honest. 

• Krischan 217 days ago

Well, lets be honest: I doubt any Elgg site will become the next Facebook, and for smaller community sites with maybe a few hundred users it should work fine, no?

• mariano 207 days ago

woow 

• mariano 207 days ago

private messaging system chat style would be a good idea.

• ura soul 191 days ago

i am testing this.. here are the issues i have found so far:

• breadcrumb trail of inbox has two 'messages' labels.. the 2nd one should be 'inbox'.
    • the text label for 'Private messages' is missed out from the english language file.
    • the text label for '%s messages cound not be delete due to their read-only setting' has a mis-spelling in it.
    • the import in the admin panel started ok for me.. i then flushed the cache mid import and the import never completed. now when i press the import button nothing happens.. so i haven't seen the full admin panel load here yet.

overall i think it's a great plugin and should be in core. :)

• ura soul 191 days ago

oh and:

• 'Notifications' text label is not coming from a language file that is editable from within 'translation_manager' which usually means it is hardcoded.
    • i saw a fatal php error of some kind when i had developer tools 'wrap views' option enabled and was moving through the user picker or some other page in an inbox
  • Daniel Hazelzet 180 days ago

Hi Ismayil,

Indeed, both 'Notifications' and 'Private Messages' text labels can somehow not be translated. Any idea on how to resolve that?

Cheers

• cvoeil 109 days ago

Hello Everybody,

Happy new year !

What do I have to do to get the full parameters details in the admin panel ?

Except the "save" button nothing else is displayed.

I flushed the cache, I upgraded, etc ... Nothing change.

Regards,

Clem

• cvoeil 109 days ago

I am stupid !

Sorry !

I get the solution in the "Message types" menu ...

Grrr !!!

• ura soul 109 days ago

i am looking at this again now.. on my test site i have completed the upgrade successfully.

how do i delete messages from the inbox? i am not seeing the delete button anywhere.
    also, is there a way to disable the notifications panel? if we use another notification plugin (or the notification code in elgg 1.9) then this panel will be unnecessary.

• ura soul 109 days ago

also the friendpicker in this plugin is better than the default elgg one in terms of presentation. 

• Krischan 93 days ago

Maybe I am mistaken, but it seems like this plugin causes a too heavly load on a shared server thus having caused our hoster to disable our site; but I am still investigating the exact cause.

• Ismayil Kharedinov 92 days ago

@Krischan, very well may be. The queries performed by this plugin are quite complex (mainly due to the architecture of the messages plugin). Let me know, when you know more over email and we will see if can address the issues.