• Category: Tools
  • License: GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2
  • Updated: 2010-2-4
  • Downloads: 4906
  • Recommendations: 1

Other Projects

View Brett's plugins

Omni Inviter 1.0 for Elgg 1.5

Omni Inviter allows your members to invite new users to your site a variety of ways including Friends and Open Inviter.

Last updated 1791 days ago

I am looking for someone to take over development of this plugin.  Please contact me if you are interested.

Release Notes:

** BETA NOTES **

• SEE END OF DESCRIPTION FOR CHANGES!
  • This version of Omni Inviter is not compatible with the latest SVN of Elgg.
  • You MUST disable the Open Inviter method's Twitter plugin or the Open Inviter method WILL NOT WORK.
  • This is a beta release.  Not all features will work as expected! 
  • Upgrading users *MUST* visit the tools administration page to trigger an upgrade before the stats will work.  This page may take a while to load if (against suggestions!) you've used this on a live site!
  • Messages are *NOT* sent immediately--They are queued and sent in batches to keep server congestion down.  This means that you must have a working cron installation!
  • Check out the new, in progress stats!  Comments and suggestions are requested!
  • This version includes easier viewing of invitations.
  • See CHANGES section at bottom for more changes.

** END BETA NOTES **

Omni Inviter creates and sends custom invitations to friends.  It is easily
extendible with plugins.  Default plugins include:

* Friends -- Invite friends with email address.  After registration,
      the inviter and the invited users are marked as each others' friends.

* Secret -- Invite friends with email addresses secretly.  This method
      requires the invited user to sign up before it will reveal who
      sent the invitation.

* OpenInviter.com -- Invite friends from other social networks and
      email accounts.  This uses OpenInviter <http://openinviter.com>
      technology to log in to 3rd party websites and send mass
      invitations.  *See note in README file.

Once installed, activated, and configured, you will find the link to
invite users on the left side of the friends list page.  You can also
go directly to it at http://yourelggsite.org/pg/omni_inviter/invite

Invite LinkInvite Friends

Open Inviter

Widget

** LICENSE INFORMATION **

This software is governed under rights, privileges, and restrictions in
addition to those provided by the GPL v2.  Please carefully read the
LICENSE file for more information.

** TODO **
        * Open Inviter's "Check all/none" is pretty dodgy.  Functional, but
          needs to be rewritten.

* Sorting in admin listing.

* Secret method: option during invitation creation to have custom
          notifications sent to the invited user.  (Is this important at all?)

* On very (moderately?) large sites the stats will run into OOM errors

* Add invitation expiration using expiration date.

* Separate the awful pagehandler function into bit-sized chunks.

* Revamp stats to give additional information such as time
          between creating and new user joining, etc.

* Pull the mass iterating functionality out into a real function.

** CHANGES **

v1.0b3 (2009-05-29)
        * Changed get_entities_from_metadata_by_value() to
          oi_get_entities_from_metadata_by_value() to avoid function name
          collisons with other plugins.  (Better solution forthcoming.)
        * Added config option for max attempted sends.
        * Added config option to disable cron (and enable manual send).
        * Open Inviter method's link to http://openinviter.com opens in a new
          window.
        * Adjusted the rate limit defaults and upped the time to 5 minutes
          minimum since users can set the max_send_attempts to 10.
        * Code cleanup for cron.

v1.0b2.1 (2009-05-28)
        * Removed call to debug log function that was breaking everything.

v1.0b2 (2009-05-26)
        * Updated README.
        * Corrected bug with JS and i10n (Thanks Colin Tate <@colintate>!).
        * Non-success and empty method content will return an error on AJAX
          loading.  (Thanks Ash <http://www.emediadrop.com/>!).
        * The enter key now works as expected when adding users, logging in to
          Open Inviter sites, etc.
        * Added "Check all/none" for Open Inviter method.
        * Prettied up some formatting issues and made errors more noticable.
        * Added user settings for receiving a notification when an invite is
          used.  Metaplugins can extend user settings can be extended the same
          as site settings.
        * Added transparent support for the PHPMailer plugin by Cash Costello.
        * Fixed saving settings for metaplugins.
        * Fixed occasional problem in setting when the language file wasn't
          loaded and default email subject and body were language stubs.
        * Interface for admins shows basic stats on invitations allows
          invitations to be resent.

v1.0b1 (2009-05-12)
    * Initial release.

Comments

• kobi31 1791 days ago

hi , this problem Fatal error: is fix thanks
    but still not work for me , i try to invite via gmail and nothing , i try via facebook and i get the error "We couldn't log in to Facebook with the supplied username and password. Please double-check your login details for Facebook and try again! " i double-check my details and still the same error ...

• kobi31 1791 days ago

sorry i check Again the gmail and its work Perfect :-)

• Fusion 1790 days ago

looks to be working now...   im gonna play a bit and let you know if any issues come up

• Fusion 1790 days ago

here is one thing i noticed in the tool admin...  heres a screen so you can see it

http://screencast.com/t/oo1fm020HpC

• Brett 1790 days ago

@Fusion -- This looks like a very odd bug with one of the plugins that deals with the Tiny MCE editor.  Specifically, the Kaltura video embedding script.  Try to disable it and see if the editor appears correctly.

• kobi31 1790 days ago

hi brett , why only for me the plugin not work like other , importer contact from facebook not working

• Brett 1790 days ago

@kobi31 -- The Facebook functionality is through Open Inviter, which requires additional configuration.  I do not support Open Inviter because it is a 3rd party addition.  It's possible that the Open Inviter plugin for Facebook has stopped working...it's very fragile...

• Fusion 1790 days ago

@brett...   yeah that fixed that...   great work.  cant wait for your completed product

everything seems to be working perfect.

• sunirmalya 1790 days ago

hey Brett,

you know i love this and i am loving using it - but i am having trouble with some anomalies.

i am finding that sometimes when i do a send it does not go thru .. when i checked sometimes i am getting to the oi_send_email function and sometimes i do not. Even though it keeps saying it has been sent via the system_message.

when i look at the admin area it says this

Created by: sunirmalya on 2009-05-30 17:16:25
    Invited User's Name: prof
    Sent Status: Not sent.
    Clicked Status: Not clicked.
    Used Status: Not used.

Invitation ID:25
    Invitation Code: 9ff3e121444c4d8c0efd009c98147f72
    Personalized Message: Hurry up and join...I can't wait to see you here!!
    Method: friend
    Log:
    and it seems that every time i try and send after that it does not work..
    why are you not setting the $from_email to the default email address that the rest of elgg uses to send messages ...?
  • sunirmalya 1790 days ago

sorry brett - i thought it was going to send 50 and then start queueing but it looks as though it is queueing straight away as all those that i was testing (about 7 or 8) seemed to get sent later .. is that right?

• Brett 1790 days ago

@Sunirmalya -- Please review the beta notes in the description above and the README.txt file.  *All* messages are queued to avoid problems when a user invites a large number of people at once.  Also, the from email address is configurable from the tools administration.  The only part that concerns me is that you said you can't send it from the list of invitations by clicking the send button--is that correct?

Brett

• Daljit Singh 1789 days ago

Brett

I am having a strange problem . I do not know how to fix it. when i click on send button it is not working . i get a Blank page . I do not know how to fix it .

Help me to fix it

Daljit Singh

• Brett 1789 days ago

@Daljit -- Please provide more information about your server configuration (Mods installed and enabled, etc) and the method you're trying to use.

Fatal error: Call to undefined method ElggObject::send() in /home/dostina1/public_html/mod/omni_inviter/start.php on line 426

I am getting this error . I have installed Freidnsoffriends, elggchat, izapvideos, group. file, Riverdashboard, Improved profile, Edesigner Template 1, file, bookmarks, tidypics, Notifications, Corn Trigger, Log Browser, Site Acess 2.2, Pack of roaming Cat, External Pages, Custom Index, zaudio, embed, People you might know, user status, groupemailer, remove widget, tiny mce, messageboard, members, catagories, friends, garbagecollector, diagnostics, thewire, massages, default widgets, 

On my hosting panel i have curl installed and working .

If you need further information let me know

Thanks

Daljit Singh

that error is resolved but still a blank page after clicking on send button . i have tried disabling all plugins But no Luck .

still everything is same

Fatal error: Call to undefined method ElggObject::send() in /home/dostina1/public_html/mod/omni_inviter/start.php on line 426

• morteza 1789 days ago

how to set the cron? I have a cpanel hosting with cron enable but how should I set cron and what is the function which i have to fill in cron?

• Brett 1789 days ago

@Daljit -- On an invitation that you are trying to send, please click the details button and copy and paste the all of the invitation details here.  If you have access to your database, please provide me the contents of the `elggentity_subtypes` table.  Also, please double check that Omni Inviter has been propery extracted...it sounds like an important file might be missing.

@morteza -- I have never used Cpanel and am not comfortable trying to troubleshoot how to configure cron with this software.  There is a crontab.example file in Elgg's base directory that you could discuss adding to cron with your host, or there is the Cron Trigger plugin that can be enabled to emulate cron.

• Brett 1788 days ago

@Daljit -- Thanks for the detailed report.  I've deleted it to save some space on this page.  Somehow your database settings for Omni Inviter are incorrect:

In your elggentity_subtypes table, the invitation object needs to look like this (note the capitalization):

id       type              subtype           class
    25       object            invitation        Invitation

Did you have problems initially installing this plugin?  Does the mod/omni_inviter/invitation_class.php file exist?

• Daljit Singh 1788 days ago

Yes That File is there

yes i was having trouble to install this plugin . my all site went blank . i tried to reupload all data and that did the trick

Thanks Your Tips worked awwsome . omniinviter is working great now

• sunirmalya 1787 days ago

thanks Brett- you are right - plugin of the year!!

• keny 1785 days ago

Brett, This looks awesome. Excellent for community bulding.

Couple of questions that I couldnt resolve from the OpenInviters site...

• Can you target LinkedIn Group members where you share a Group, or just your contacts?
    • Once this is in final form, woudl it be possible to get Elgg listed as a supported CMS, and (perhaps) Elgg-based sites with the plug-in installed listed as supported Social Networks
    Wondered if you had any ideas- If not dont worry- will research further via Openinviters directly.

• Brett 1785 days ago

@Keny,

I am not affiliated with nor offer support for Open Inviter.  My plugin was written to be able to support multiple "meta-plugins" and Open Inviter happens to be one of them because my client requested it.  My client uses a small subset of the plugins offered by Open Inviter (Facebook, Gmail, Myspace, Yahoo Mail, and Hotmail to name a few) so I don't know how many of the others work.

My current license for Omni Inviter prevents it from being bundled with Open Inviter's packages and distributed on their website as a supported CMS for a variety of reasons, not least of which is that Open Inviter's TOS state that they retain some data and will begin charging for certain services soon.  I don't fancy them using my work to turn a profit.

Also, this plugin doesn't provide support for Elgg to be a supported Social Network in Open Inviter--That would have to be done as plugin to Open Inviter itself...

• ash 1781 days ago

@breet, how about using something like plaxo , any reason why you did not use them