• License: GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2
  • Updated: 2011-12-1
  • Downloads: 18957
  • Recommendations: 41

Releases

Other Projects

View Mike Zacher (vazco)'s plugins

Mainpage widgets (vazco_mainpage) for Elgg 1.5

Customize your mainpage just like user's profile page. Add custom HTML, advertisements and many more.

Last updated 1765 days ago

Supported widgets:

1. Custom HTML (HTML content of your choosing)
  2. Latest groups
  3. Latest polls - from poll plugin
  4. Featured groups - displays featured groups
  5. Newest members
  6. Latest files
  7. Quote of the day
  8. Latest blog posts
  9. Latest bookmarks
  10. Latest pages
  11. Latest activity - displays public activity from the riverdashboard
  12. Simplepie - a simple feed reader (using Cash Costello's code)
  13. Latest images - displays images from tidypics
  14. HTML widget - allows you to place any HTML on the main page
  15. Search box - puts the search box on the main page
  16. Izap videos - videos from Izap plugin
  17. Latest groups (icons)
  18. Quote of the day
  19. Classifieds
  20. Latest discussions

In full version only:

1. Latest discussions
  2. Latest events - events from event calendar
  3. Flash Tag cloud
  4. Members - AJAX style:

WHAT IT DOES:

You can customize your main page and login page by dragging-and-dropping widgets on it. There is a wide variety of new widgets you can use.

INSTALLATION:

• disable the custom_index mod
  • enable the vazco_mainpage mod

NOTE:

The version uploaded here is a GPL version. It has limit of 2 widgets per column, and won't save the content of your HTML widgets. In the full version, available on project's homepage, you'll be able to add any HTML content in between your widgets. There will be no limit of a number of widgets you can place in any column. Link to project's homepage is at the top left corner of the screen.

Release Notes:

CHANGES:

IN 1.02:

• added activity widget for the main page (like river dashboard)
  • added tidypics widget for the main page (shows newest pictures)
  • added pages widget for the main page (shows newest pages)
  • added simplepie feed integration widget for the main page (shows messages from the selected feed on the main page)
  • fixed a few minor bugs

WHAT IT DOES:

You can customize your main page and login page by dragging-and-dropping widgets on it. There is a wide variety of new widgets you can use.

This plugin is also a great way to put advertisements on yor main page. Since users often look at main page's widgets, placing advertisements there will be very efective. It's adviced to rotate your advertisements with your widgets, in order to prevent ad blindness in your users. If well used, this plugin can significantly improve income you get from your site.

HOW IT LOOKS:

After installing the plugin, you get additional link on your administration page - "mainpage widgets". After clicking this screen, you can customize your service's main page with the use of the following panel:

Thanks to this panel you can place your mainpage widgets any way you want. You can also add any HTML text in between the widgets by using the HTML widget element. You can add:

• custom HTML and advertisements
  • newest images
  • feed reader
  • activity
  • latest pages
  • latest files
  • latest bookmarks
  • newest members
  • latest blog posts
  • latest groups

Simply place your HTML inside the element, and it will be displayed on the front page in the place where you put it:

mainpage for logged in users:

Note: login boxes and text from external pages will still stay on top of your main page. Also, if a new extension for a main page is created, it will be displayed below the widgets you defined in the mainpage widgets plugin.

It is very easy to extend this plugin. If you want to develop a new widget for the main page, you can add it to mainpage widgets with only one line of code.

INSTALLATION:

• disable the custom_index mod
  • enable the vazco_mainpage mod

NOTE:

The version uploaded here is a GPL version. It has limit of 2 widgets per column, and won't save the content of your HTML widgets.

Comments

• Rob 1810 days ago

@ vaz - I need to download ver 1.02 and downloaded the vazco_mainpage.zip file presuming it to be v1.02 but once unzipped and a quick check of manifest.xml it says version 1.0. Can you either update the download file above or email me the updated version, seen as I was one of the fellow elgg'ers to purchase your plugin. ;)

• Rob 1810 days ago

@ vaz - I was impatient lol and decided to try and upload the files anyway and noticed as it was uploading one of the files you didn't have in v1.0 *simplepie* so I take it this is the latest version but the manifest.xml you overlooked updating it to say ver 1.02 :p

• Rob 1810 days ago

@ vaz - Ok found a few possible bugs;

Whilst logged in and having run upgrade.php it naturally takes me to my mainpage but for a logged in user and the following widgets show up and are populated with content;

Latest Activity

Newest Members

Latest Images

Latest Pages

But no others and I tested the plugin by adding all main page widgets.

Now testing your plugins newest version as a non logged in user who goes to the above link url given page;

Newest Members

Latest Images (This doesn't populate any images this time)

Latest Activity

But no others and I tested the plugin by adding all main page widgets.

I hope the above is helpful to ironing out any possible bugs, or whatever it is that maybe causing what I find with my site and this latest version of mainpage_widgets. :)

Regards,

• Mike Zacher (vazco) 1809 days ago

Rob,

this is the GPL version, so you can add only 4 widgets, and not HTML widgets. Indeed, this is ver. 1.02 - the manifest file was just not updated. I just e-mailed you the full 1.02 version.

• madshark 1809 days ago

hey vazco great plugin ... im having a little issue tho .. the boxes dont align really well... the left hand side boxes almost hug the page content corner..and vice versa for the right.

The login box remember me button also is a little messed up apeears on top of the login button any ideas ??

• Mike Zacher (vazco) 1809 days ago

@madshark did you make any modifications to the styles of your site? This plugin is intended to work with the default template. If you modified it, you will have to play with the CSS styles a bit to get it display right.

• madshark 1809 days ago

yup i fixed it thanks.. another quick question do the html boxes not work yet ? everytime i put som html and save it the widget dissapears ...

• madshark 1809 days ago

blah crap didnt read the description ! thanks :)