• Category: User admin
  • License: GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2
  • Updated: 2012-2-20
  • Downloads: 13832
  • Recommendations: 97

Other Projects

View westor's plugins

Westors Elgg Manager for Elgg 1.7

Comfortable RIA (Rich Internet Application) interface for various functions. Users can view and edit external contacts, send e-mails, manage their friends and groups. Admins can manage Elgg users, groups, external contacts, bulk messages and SMS.

Last updated 774 days ago

This cool plugin is helpful for admins and for normal users. A comfortable AJAX interface helps to manage users, friends, external contacts, groups and messages. One can send bulk e-mail and SMS to a bunch of users or friends. You can easily search in your messages history.

Admins have more options then normal users, like delete or edit user data, block or unblock user, activate or deactivate.

SMS functions are supported. Please contact me for your use cases and special backend connections you want to have.

The instruction manual comes in form of some screenshots with comments. Please visit the projects home.

If you like the plugin, please click on the "Recommendations" link in the upper right.

Release Notes:

Bugs:

• Rightclick for sending e-mail to a single user did not work FIXED

Features

• add reload button for message history
  • add maximize button for e-mail writing
  • add options to save the columns width and the min with of the plugin
  • add SMS functions

Comments

• ura soul 1250 days ago

i'm seeing this error when running this latest version:

Async(1) exception: Server error 8: PHP Notice in /mylocalpath/mod/westorElggMan/services/qooxdoo/elggMan.php, line 11: Undefined variable: embedded

• westor 1250 days ago

I released the version 1.0 of my plugin westors elgg manager.

Now SMS functions are supported. What does this mean?

The SMS provider I use on the backend side is a german one. So SMS delivery in germany and many countries should be possible without problems, but - there is no guarantee for all countries.

Everery SMS you send will cause costs for me. Therefore I will limit the number of SMS per sender domain to 6 - one for sender number verification and 5 for sending SMS. This should be enough for demonstration.

Currently many thing still remain open and we have to discuss your use cases and your business model to see the options we have and the things to implement and the contracts we need.

If you e.g. have a business model, where your users should pay for their SMS, we could implement an account model per user, he could be able to charge his account by making a transferal via Pay Pal or other. So he could buy credits for SMS sending. In such a case the user e.g. could donate other users with credits from his own account.

Depending on your use cases we could negotiate, if you could e.g. have a contract with my SMS provider or if you would like to have another provider - in your country, let me know.

Another option could be to have a contract with me and I buy and pay the SMS for you, but lets talk about your plans.

In every case you would have to pay for my development time to make this a customized solution.

Some ideas for SMS sending:

• user to user
    • user, admin or group owner to many users or group, using of a tmeplate for the message and variables for username
    • your website sends automatic birthday greetings to users
    • populate special river events via SMS (e.g. a new post in special group)
    • appointment alarms
    • adding MMS functions
    • adding answer to website funtions

To discuss SMS stuff, please join my community and follow this group:

http://www.community-software-24.com/mod/groups/topicposts.php?topic=5906&group_guid=3609

• westor 1250 days ago

@tunist: this may be a problem of your warn level in your php.ini - could you check this for me?

I will take care of this in the nex release.

• ura soul 1250 days ago

warn level?

which parameters in particular are you interested in?

i had a look through php.ini and copied some of the possibly relevant ones:

error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_DEPRECATED

session.bu session.bug_compat_warn = Off g_compat_42 = Off

session.bug_compat_warn = Off

thanks

• Per Jensen 1250 days ago

@tunist - @westor I get the same error on localhost, but not when I test online.

You have added the option to edit pluginWidth and columnwidth. As far as I can see pluginWidth does not change the width of the form but the width of the visible area.

Could you tell me where to edit overall width of the table, as the right side of the table isn't visible.

• Tanno 1250 days ago

Hi Westor,

I appreciate very much your effort on this plugin that might improve so much comunication and administration. However it seems that there are two bugs:

1) when I select users and after that do a mouse rightclick on the grid to get the popup-menu with actions to perform on the selected users, the check-marks of the selection disappear. I have to click on the most right column title to keep the selection visible.

2) when I select more than one user and click on a delete or ban action in the menu, the action is only performed on one user (the first of the selected users)

best regards

Tanno

• westor 1250 days ago

@tunist - I will have a look at the problem, stay tuned, may be I deliver an update in the next days.

@tanno - I already answered your question: popup is only for the current row, therefore all other lines are deselected.
    Your second issue - also with this release?

@all - I found another bug, I'll collect also your input and try to deliver a bugfix while this week.

• westor 1250 days ago

@gillie: the with of the table depends on the with of all your columns. Try to change the column width or to reduce the number of displayed columns.
    Plugin width is the overall width of the the plugin, you should see thhe changes immediately.

• Steve Williams 1250 days ago

I spoke with you on your site about this, but is there any way to interface it with Google Voice for us in the US? This would enable sending of SMS messages for free to any number in the US, I have used curl and PHP to send messages through Google Voice, and I sent you an example of the script. Let me know if there is anything that I can do to help, but please know that my programming skills are limited.

-Steve

• DhrupDeScoop 1250 days ago

This is even better now with the addition of SMS enabling ;- ) my hats off to Westor ;-P

• jaxcatz 1250 days ago

WoW :) SmS :)

HaPPy ElGGinG :)

Do GooD :)

@westor Thank you, yes I can't set the width of the table. My table width should be 950. That will hide the right side border. If I change the width to 980 the border is visible but lowering the number only hides the 30 pixels it does not move the border. Reducing the number of displayed columns adjust the table width though.

Another question. If I choose to let my users see email adresses, which is quite obvious to do in a contact plugin, users get access to the email adresses used for signing up and not the email adresses entered by users as contact email in the profile field (where users can decide to share or not to share information). Wouldn't it be better to use the contact email adresses from profile field in the User view?

• westor 1250 days ago

@gillie I'm not sure I understand your issue. Could you send me a screenshot via PM and some more info, what you expect and what is not working? - You can drag the with of the columns with the mouse, can you? An the overall with of the table depends on the sum of all columns.

Second point is a good one, so would you suggest to use the contact email to show, if available?! What happens, if this is not filled by the user? Should there be no option to contact him / her in that case? Or should we only hide the adress in the list? I think, this is what ellg does: sends out the mails but never shows the mail address except the contacts e-mail is filled?
    What if we have both addresses? which one should be used for us? Both? Or only contact email?

• westor 1250 days ago

@steve Could you send me the script again? I cant find an email from you with a script attached.

Yes, I mentioned already - it should be possible to connect every backend, but it's a question of effort - I would love to get payed for my development time, making a customized solution.

• westor 1250 days ago

@tunist: could you try to change this:

error_reporting  =  E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE

instead of
    error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_DEPRECATED
    and let me know?
    I will fix this with a new release...
  • ura soul 1249 days ago

@westor:

thanks for the support - i changed the variable in /etc/php5/apache/php.ini

and after a server restart the plugin now loads without an error. :)

another issue now see is that the inline CSS styling that has been applied to 'id="qxElement"' is breaking the layout of my page as the elgg manager has no HTML spacing beneath it and the bottom margin pushes the elements down that are underneat the layout canvas (creating a gap in my layout)..

i appreciate that this will not be the same for everyone but it is generally helpful to avoid any inline CSS statements and keep them all in a file so that they can be more easily edited/changed... (i.e. without needing to change files that are core to the plugin and thus will be replaced when the plugin is upgraded.

cheers :)

• Per Jensen 1249 days ago

Second point is a good one, so would you suggest to use the contact email to show, if available?! What happens, if this is not filled by the user? Should there be no option to contact him / her in that case? Or should we only hide the adress in the list? I think, this is what ellg does: sends out the mails but never shows the mail address except the contacts e-mail is filled?
    What if we have both addresses? which one should be used for us? Both? Or only contact email?

Some users are very concerned about security and privacy. And an email address that one use to signup is not expected to be public. I think hiding the email would be correct and perhaps even replaced by a link to pm the user (My Friends) for filling in the email contact info. If the email is not filled in email should only be sent if your friend did check email in notification settings. But maybe a pm could be sent instead.

In "All activated users" no email should be shown. It could lead to something spam like.

In profile a note could tell that an email entered is the one used by westors elgg manager if access level is set to public. The signup email should not be used unless it's the same :-)

Can't test right now as I get this error : Async(14) exception: Transport error 500: Server error

But one can only email friends through the manager, right?

Just some thoughts about emailing. I'll pm you later regarding my width issue, thanks.