• Category: Media
  • License: GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2
  • Updated: 2012-4-2
  • Downloads: 9201
  • Recommendations: 63

Other Projects

View Ray J's plugins

Embed Extender for Elgg 1.8

Allow video embedding to blog posts, comments, messages, pages and the wire.

Last updated 596 days ago

This plugin is a extension of Cash´s Video Embed plugin. It allows video embedding in ELGG content. Just put the URL in blog posts, comments, messages, pages and the wire and video is displayed.

The plugin doesn't make changes in views and doesn't store or modify entities. It just parses the content, through views extending, and shows the video. If you disable the plugin, the video URL is displayed again.

The initial version supports Youtube, Vimeo and Metacafe. Others formats is on the way.

Notes:

If Cash's Embed Video Plugin is enabled, Embed Extender will use the latest version of the Cash's library. Otherwise, the plugin will use a own copy of Cash's library. The latest version of Cash's plugin can be found here: http://community.elgg.org/pg/plugins/project/384562/developer/costelloc/embed-video

The plugin needs Cash´s Eager Widgets to work perfectly in profile pages. The latest version can be found here: http://community.elgg.org/pg/plugins/project/535997/developer/costelloc/eager-widgets

The plugin doesn't show embebed videos in Riverdashboard, because the River shows only the first 200 characters of the message.

Notes for 1.8:

This plugin uses a 1.8 beta version of Cash´s Embed library. An update will be released with Cash´s official 1.8 library. (Don´t worry. The actual version works fine)

How to install:

1. Enable the plugin and set the video width to content and widgets. In default themes, I suggest 400 pixels to video content and 265 pixels to widget content.

To do:

• Support more video formats.
  • Support more content

A great "Thank You" to DhrupDeScoop for supporting my limited PHP skills and to Gillie for the help in The Wire widget issue.

Final notes:

If you like it, recommend it! Recommending, you don´t help me: you help the community, showing the best rated plugins and saving hours for new users.

Release Notes:

• Corrected some issues
  • Added support for youtu.be URLs
  • Huge performance improvements (Very fast loading pages)

Comments

• Ray J 809 days ago

New release friends. The plugin was almost written from scratch and the performance had a huge improvement. I will release a 1.7 version with the performance improvements and the youtu.be support soon.

• DhrupDeScoop 809 days ago

? ;-P that soon ? and i was still @ testing the last one !! lolz !;oO;X;P you 'cabeça cérebro evoluiu' ! oxoxox & lolz;-) cheers meu amigo & keep coding ;-)

• nolox 809 days ago

I test and doesn't work for me at least in comentaries. Tomorrow I will try in other parts.

Maybe am I doing somethin wrong in the installation process or configuration??

• nolox 809 days ago

Excuse me, I'm really stupid. Plugins works perfectly. My problema was I was pasting the same youtube link I was already published. That way only appear the link, not the video. I try with another link different and works perfectly.

Congratulations for the plugin (and the work:P), I'm going to recomend it inmediatly!;)

• Ray J 809 days ago

@DDS: Take a look in the code. It´s very small and simple now. And, thanks to a new approach, the plugin is called only 3 or 4 times during page loading. Tha previous version could call the plugin until 100x!

• DhrupDeScoop 808 days ago

ThX - I will... ;-)

• Evgeniy 808 days ago

Awesome plugin, thank's Ray J

Recommend!

Just one thing:

It will be perfect to show an embed video in activity river, not just a link!

@Ev: read the older version's comments - that's an old issue with length of excerpted string in the View being used for River. it can't be done without too much more messy code..

• Nudeler2
    Nudeler2 808 days ago

The issue with video not shown in activity page: does this depend on the length of text written? Or what string you mean, Dhrup?

• Ray J 808 days ago

@Evgeni, Nudeler: The river shows only a excerpt of the content. So, the river could show half of the youtube´s URL, generating parsing problems (Malformed URLs).

An user posted a code hack in a older version, but I can´t implement a functionality that not works 100% of the time. Look for older comments, but like I said, use at your risk. I don´t recommend.

• Flexx 808 days ago

@Ray J First off i do appreciate what you are doing! Thanks again! :)

Now the code the user post, no-one can figure out why it is unstable? It would make a whole lot of sense to also show the video in the activity feeds, when the url is left like that it tends to make your users wonder away from the site, not that if they want to go to youtube anyone can stop them but it kinda take the fun outta being able to keep it all in your site :)

@RaYJ:- gimme some time to spe looking @ identifying, extracting, displaying embedded video URL in river posts. I've (already) done some preliminary code-peeking to see where the URL falls of ;-) Let's see if it can be brought back and used for embed.

• Aki76 807 days ago

Hi,

and if i wish to add the video to the river? there is a way to exceed the number of 200 chars?

Thanks!

Aki76

• Ray J 807 days ago

@Aki76: Its impossible. As I said, everyone can develop a hack to allow embeding in activity river, but the official plugin will not have this feature.

• Stumpy 805 days ago

@Aki76

Thanks the plugin is awesome.  found a weird little bug though,  When I embed a youtu.be URL into a blog etc, It gives me two videos but if i use the URL I am given after clicking the share button, it works fine.  is this as it should be and i'm being an idiot? lol

• insanedb 799 days ago

@Ray J

it doesn't work in elgg 1.8.1 and 1.8.3, do you know why?

cheers

• Ray J 799 days ago

@Insanedb: Explain better, please.

• Faisal Albellaihi 797 days ago

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare videoembed_create_embed_object() (previously declared in /home/content/95/8868495/html/mod/embed_extender/lib/embedvideo.php:34) in /home/content/95/8868495/html/mod/videos/lib/embed_video.php on line 65

what should I do?

and please be clear cause I'm not good at programing

• Opteron 787 days ago

i have the same problem like insanedb. I would like to display videos in activity. it doesnt work for me. tried the code from the older release and edited it, but still dont work.

tried this for myself (iam very new to PHP :-/ ) added this to start.php:

$activity_show = elgg_get_plugin_setting('activity_show', 'embed_extender');       
        if($activity_show == 'yes'){
            register_plugin_hook('view', 'object/activity', 'embed_extender_rewrite');
        }

and that to settings.php

$activity_show = $vars['entity']->activity_show;
    if (!$activity_show) $activity_show = 'no';

also enabled the option in plugin-setting, but it all doesnt work. Can you help me ?

• DhrupDeScoop 787 days ago

'videos in activity' will take some brain work because as stated quite many several times before - there is the 200 char limit on river items - by which time the entity's' original attributes are 'lost' to the code handling the river displays. ray-the-man has said -- 'As I said, everyone can develop a hack to allow embeding in activity river, but the official plugin will not have this feature.' ;-P there's a fair bit of code to manipulate, synpases to fire, cells to lose and.. and not enough spare free time floating around to code that up.

• Opteron 786 days ago

oh i see. it would be a great plugin. i think lots of people could need it :)

thank you for your explanation

• noah john switzer 669 days ago

For the Fatal error: Cannot redeclare videoembed_create_embed_object() (previously declared in /home/content/95/8868495/html/mod/embed_extender/lib/embedvideo.php:34

with videos plugin enabled too..

I went through embed_extender/lib/embedvideo and renamed all functions to functioname2()

(added the 2 after all references - maybe 25 edits an d its working fine now )

• Rochell 538 days ago

Hurrah! In the end I got a web site from where I be able
    to actually obtain useful data concerning my study and knowledge.
    http://wpshower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12477&p=21651