• Category: Media
  • License: GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2
  • Updated: 2012-4-2
  • Downloads: 9222
  • Recommendations: 63

Other Projects

View Ray J's plugins

Embed Extender for Elgg 1.8

Allow video embedding to blog posts, comments, messages, pages and the wire.

Last updated 604 days ago

This plugin is a extension of Cash´s Video Embed plugin. It allows video embedding in ELGG content. Just put the URL in blog posts, comments, messages, pages and the wire and video is displayed.

The plugin doesn't make changes in views and doesn't store or modify entities. It just parses the content, through views extending, and shows the video. If you disable the plugin, the video URL is displayed again.

The initial version supports Youtube, Vimeo and Metacafe. Others formats is on the way.

Notes:

If Cash's Embed Video Plugin is enabled, Embed Extender will use the latest version of the Cash's library. Otherwise, the plugin will use a own copy of Cash's library. The latest version of Cash's plugin can be found here: http://community.elgg.org/pg/plugins/project/384562/developer/costelloc/embed-video

The plugin needs Cash´s Eager Widgets to work perfectly in profile pages. The latest version can be found here: http://community.elgg.org/pg/plugins/project/535997/developer/costelloc/eager-widgets

The plugin doesn't show embebed videos in Riverdashboard, because the River shows only the first 200 characters of the message.

Notes for 1.8:

This plugin uses a 1.8 beta version of Cash´s Embed library. An update will be released with Cash´s official 1.8 library. (Don´t worry. The actual version works fine)

How to install:

1. Enable the plugin and set the video width to content and widgets. In default themes, I suggest 400 pixels to video content and 265 pixels to widget content.

To do:

• Support more video formats.
  • Support more content

A great "Thank You" to DhrupDeScoop for supporting my limited PHP skills and to Gillie for the help in The Wire widget issue.

Final notes:

If you like it, recommend it! Recommending, you don´t help me: you help the community, showing the best rated plugins and saving hours for new users.

Release Notes:

Removed some deprecated functions and some bugs thanks to Matt.

A new version, with better support to custom providers, is on the way.

Comments

• DhrupDeScoop 603 days ago

'removed some deprecated...' u mean you left some others still in there ? lolz ;-P
    lemme know if you want me to run the code thru my 'deprecatedScanner' utility.

'Custom Providers' ? hmmm !;-)
    If you're also lookign @OpenEmbed stuff area, tell me so;
    and/or if not -- I might browse thru the code and <--> OpenEmbed hooks
    to see what style of code mods/enhancements might be needed to expand.

• ura soul 587 days ago

this is functional for me with youtube, not with vimeo, presently. in 1.8.8

• Ve 574 days ago

FIX (avoid overlap with other elements of the web, example freichat) in embed_extender/lib/embedvideo.php

case 'youtube':
                $videodiv .= "<object width=\"$width\" height=\"$height\"><param name=\"movie\" value=\"http://{$url}&hl=en&fs=1&showinfo=0\"></param><param name=\"allowFullScreen\" value=\"true\"></param><param name=\"wmode\" value=\"trasparent\"></param><embed src=\"http://{$url}&hl=en&fs=1&showinfo=0\" type=\"application/x-shockwave-flash\" wmode=\"transparent\" allowfullscreen=\"true\" width=\"$width\" height=\"$height\"></embed></object>";

• Ve 574 days ago

FIX

in embed_extender/start.php add:

//Check where embed code - River
        $river_show = elgg_get_plugin_setting('river_show', 'embed_extender');        
        if($river_show == 'yes'){
            elgg_register_plugin_hook_handler('view', 'river/item', 'embed_extender_rewrite');
        }

in embed_extender/views/default/plugins/embed_extender/settings.php add:

$river_show = $vars['entity']->river_show;
    if (!$river_show) $river_show = 'no';

//Show in the river?
    echo '<p>';
    echo elgg_echo('embed_extender:river:show');  
    echo elgg_view('input/dropdown', array(
            'name' => 'params[river_show]',
            'options_values' => array(
                'yes' => elgg_echo('option:yes'),
                'no' => elgg_echo('option:no')
            ),
            'value' => $river_show
    ));
    echo '</p>';

in embed_extender/languages/en.php add:

'embed_extender:river:show'            => "Display video in river",

in embed_extender/languages/es.php add:

'embed_extender:river:show'            => "Mostrar video en River",

• Juho Jaakkola 567 days ago

How does this differ from Cash's original plugin? Are there some major differences between the two versions why it's better to have them as separate plugins?

• Daniel 549 days ago

How do you use the: Advanced: Display video in custom views. Enter one view per line.

To set up parsing of youtube videos in the profile text? :D

Should I really get a plugin extra just for the profiles? :D

D

• Matt Beckett 549 days ago

you do exactly what it says - enter one view per line  :)

so if you want to display video in the view "profile/summary" then you enter "profile/summary" on one line

• Daniel 549 days ago

@Matt that dosent seem to work on my install of Elgg 1.8.8.

The youtube url are in the about me box.
    After the description.

D

• Matt Beckett 549 days ago

I don't know what that view is offhand, you'll have to look for it

• Roman 507 days ago

it killed all plugins on admin -> Plugins page, no plugin list is available when I enable it. no CSS is loaded on the site broken HTML page. elgg 1.8.6

videos v1.3 and SW Wire Tube for Elgg 1.8 sw7 plugins activated. I placed it under Embed 1.8.1 plugin before activated. What could it interfere with?

Sorry, but I had to delete it for now.

• shehbaz 488 days ago

how to activate embed extender in river 

when we post something in river

I am using rivertalk plugin for elgg 1.8.9

• shehbaz 477 days ago

Hello
    Ray J
    Please help me to start embed extender plugin in rivertalk (plugin)
    I Have tried this but not work

//Check where embed code - River
    $river_show = elgg_get_plugin_setting('river_show', 'embed_extender');
    if($river_show == 'yes'){
    elgg_register_plugin_hook_handler('view', 'river/item', 'embed_extender_rewrite');
    }

//Show in the river?
    echo '

';
    echo elgg_echo('embed_extender:river:show');
    echo elgg_view('input/dropdown', array(
    'name' => 'params[river_show]',
    'options_values' => array(
    'yes' => elgg_echo('option:yes'),
    'no' => elgg_echo('option:no')
    ),
    'value' => $river_show
    ));
    echo '

';

please help me

• Ray J 477 days ago

@sheebaz: Give a look in older comments. @ve wrote the solution 97 days ago.

And no, my plugin will NEVER support river. River shows only the first "N" characters, so its unsafe embed content. Again, see older comments and the plugin´s documention, right here:

"The plugin doesn't show embebed videos in Riverdashboard, because the River shows only the first 200 characters of the message."

• costakisc 477 days ago

thats odd ray j, because i have it working in the river, the dashboard, the wire, etc.  seems to work everywhere for me.

• Matt Beckett 477 days ago

@RayJ - because embed_extender uses the 'view', <view> hook to insert the embed code I believe that happens after the view has limited the number of characters - so it should be safe.  Additionally the changes I pushed on github with the custom view parsing should make this possible just by passing in the river view.

• DhrupDeScoop 476 days ago

@rayj: they're still trying! i remember this.. it's like an iceberg;) the real stuff is hidden under-water ;-P i had actualy tried to do this fetch the url but.. got tired of the code.. endless code....  ;-oO boa saude ;)

• costakisc 476 days ago

it works for me the way it is now, until i can finish coding my thumbnail url facebook like thingy :).  i am happy with it and can live with it like it is

• Human Connect 453 days ago

@costakisc can you explain how to embed vdo on the riverdashboard ?

• Fathi 435 days ago

My elgg site is intended for corporate users mostly without internet access, so I have setup Clipbucket as a video hosting platform and want "embed extender" to reconize videos from this platform.

How could I modify the plugin so it does so.

A video hosted at http://videos.zknh.eu.org/Changement-du-mot-de-passe-Lotus-Notes-_v990 is embeddable in wordpress with this code

<iframe src="http://videos.zknh.eu.org/player/embed_player.php?vid=990&amp;width=300&amp;height=200&amp;autoplay=yes" height="200" width="300" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0"></iframe>

TIA

Fathi Ben Nasr

• ura soul 425 days ago

i'm attempting to add wmode=transparent to the youtube code in this plugin.. i have done this successfully for videolist. this embed_extender plugin is not yet functional with that change. the line for the youtube embed is changed to:

$videodiv .= "<object width=\"$width\" height=\"$height\"><param name=\"movie\" value=\"http://{$url}?wmode=transparent&hl=en&fs=1&showinfo=0\"></param><param name=\"allowFullScreen\" value=\"true\"></param><embed src=\"http://{$url}?wmode=transparent&hl=en&fs=1&showinfo=0\" type=\"application/x-shockwave-flash\" allowfullscreen=\"true\" width=\"$width\" height=\"$height\"></embed></object>";

anyone know why this is not working?

thanks

• ura soul 413 days ago

ah, i missed the solution posted by ve above. :)
    i needed to add the missing 'n' to 'transparent' and it now works. thanks

• ura soul 412 days ago

anyone had this working with youtube playlists?
    the embed code is different to the standard youtube one.. i looked through the code and can adapt it to identify and use playlists.. just wondering if anyone already has?

• Yevgeniy 405 days ago

Does not work in 1.8.8

• BrianF 379 days ago

Elgg 1.8.12 - Embed Extender puts groups pages in complete disorder.

Embed Extender is a VERY important plugin! I hope this will be updated to work with current Elgg versions.

• DhrupDeScoop 379 days ago

embedX very likely cannot do such a mess. i know the code inside this plugin almost as if i wrote the code myself ;-) my suspucion is that you must have some other plugins causing conflicts on your website.. judging the abundance of problems you'e been reporting in topics here.