• Updated: 2012-1-1
  • Downloads: 1043
  • Recommendations: 12

Other Projects

View Matt Beckett's plugins

Flexible FriendlyTime 1.8.x for Elgg 1.8

Easily change the default display of date/time

Last updated 703 days ago

Allows an administrator to set up to two formats for time display and set when each format should occur.

Features:

• Over 30 preformatted outputs
  • Ability to overwrite with custom output
  • Ability to set 2 outputs, determined by amount of time passed
  • Ability to offset displayed time (eg. to fudge timezone differences)
  • Per-Language settings
  • Translatable month/day names

Release Notes:

Cleaned up the translation code

Changed format of changelog to work in plugins page

Comments

• Ben Borges 466 days ago

This plugin seem very interesting to our platform where our server is in iceland, big parts of users could be in the US, others in Europe, others in australia, who knows...my question is does setting this up would also change or convert the time of a particular event (using event calendar) to the correct used based timezone ?

if we define EN on one timezone, what would UK people get for time reference ?
    the end of the question is : how to make event calendar display correctly the time of the event based on each user based location ?

• Matt Beckett 466 days ago

It only affects times output by the elgg friendly timei view - I don't know if event calendar is using that or not.

Currently the plugin only outputs time globally - ie. if you set an offset it's the same offset for everyone regardless of location.  It's possible to update it to use viewer timezone settings.

it's really a problem to our platform, because people are from so many different location, that its always a headeach to program a meeting and calculate manually all the timezone, we usually deal with a least 4 timezones right now, but the biggest problem is that the event is only "right" on time for the user that created it, for all other users it does not mean anything for their timezone. (they need to convert it)
    it would be so great to have some kind of plugin that would offset the time of a particular event based on where the user is or what country (ie timezone) has been filled on profile or another solution..i'm not sure if its the best approach, maybe a time converter right on the event would solve this. not sure how we can solve this in our case.

• Matt Beckett 466 days ago

For events specifically the best thing to do would be to contact Kevin Jardine and see how much he'd charge to add in user timezone handling.

i will do that, thanks for your suggestions !

• DhrupDeScoop 466 days ago

straight hard code =>
    date('j M Y',..)
    no settings, nothing;
    for events ->  it has to be the event's date that (really) matters,
    we could do something like (free) timeanddate.com does
    in their 'meeting planner'  and maybe (at least) display zones
    (e.g. from my little js 'world clock';) to let users pick/choose
    and coordinate their timezones w.r.t meetings or events ->

RIC Jan 9 2013
    20 01 28
    STG