• Category: Uncategorized
  • License: GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2
  • Updated: 2012-2-21
  • Downloads: 4862
  • Recommendations: 38

Other Projects

View Arck Interactive's plugins

Roles for Elgg 1.8

This project implements user roles for Elgg, providing more granular control over the site than Elgg's default user distinction.

Elgg basically recognizes two types of users: members (ordinary users) and administrators (users who can do everything on the site). More often than not, you'd need additional user types and associated privileges what each "user type" can do to your site.

By using this plugin, you can easily introduce custom roles, restricting groups of users to certain privileges.Please understand that the Roles plugin, in its current state, is rather a framework than a full stand-alone plugin. You'll need to make additional tweaks, or use extension plugins, to make the custom roles work.

You can find detailed documentation under docs/manual.pdf.

Release Notes:

Initial release

Comments

• Satheesh PM 787 days ago

This is nice... was looking for this type.. Recommended

• Satheesh PM 787 days ago

I have to edit line no 388 $index = -1; to $index = 0; in mod\roles\lib\roles.php to avoid the white page death.. (PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function getName() on a non-object)

thank you very much for the plugin.

• Andras Szepeshazi 787 days ago

@Satheesh Thanks for your recommendation and feedback! I'll look into the WSOD issue. Can you tell me, did you have other roles dependent plugins enabled when you had the error message, or just roles alone?

• Trajan 786 days ago

Wow, good to see something like this coming out Andras, well done. Congrat on picking up Ismayil to the Arck team as well. A valuable addition no doubt. :)

• Satheesh PM 786 days ago

I just enabled roles plugin and moderator plugin along with the default plugins of ELGG....

nothing more.. Rt now i tested this in local server (WAMP) will upload this to my production site and will see what happence...

• Steve Clay 785 days ago

First off, this looks well thought out and implemented, and will most certainly support some nice plugins (like the two you posted with it).

I'm curious what led to the decision of limiting users to having only one role? IMO a user should be able to wear multiple hats, and in different contexts (like site-level or in a particular group). I think it would be wise to build on top of an API that supports that even if a lot of it is roped off for future implementation. Perhaps this discussion should be elsewhere.

• Divagater 785 days ago

The desicion was based on the complexity of supporting multiple roles and that our current projects did not have a requirement for it.

• Andras Szepeshazi 785 days ago

@Satheesh Thanks, will check this thoroughly in multiple environments.

@Steve Thanks for your valuable feedback. Please note that this is an experimental implementation of roles. Even though it aims high and tries to implement a generic framework, the need for this plugin rose from a specific project, where single role per user would suffice. Multiple roles per users would add complexity we did not want to tackle in this initial release.

Also we're very open to suggestions as to which way Roles should evolve. I'll fire up a discussion and let's see where this can go.

• manfred salomon 785 days ago

that's a great mission und i am happy you take the initiative
    thanks andras

• Matt Beckett 785 days ago

I'm looking forward to trying this out, thanks!

• Matt Beckett 784 days ago

Well, I've just read through the docs.  Seems very well thought out, I can see this being the base of many more plugins.  If the framework is done even half as well as the docs I think we should be in good shape.

The only suggestion I can think of at the moment is echoing Steve's sentiment about multiple roles.  I need to look a little closer at the implementation of the rules but I'm wondering if the rules could be assigned a weight/priority value similar to how the core handles hooks.  Users could then have multiple roles, and anytime there are mutually exclusive rules the one with the higher priority would take effect.

It could get pretty complex, but I think it's something to consider.  I'm excited about this anyway.  Many thanks for taking the initiative on this.

• Andras Szepeshazi 784 days ago

Everyone, thanks for all the feedback. @Steve & @Matt, I'm copying your comments to this general discussion on Roles features. We'd like to see more input from core and community contributors on which direction this plugin should take. I'll add my thoughts on multiple roles there.

• Lee 784 days ago

Great plugin set!  

I'm having an issue on 1.8.3.  When I enable the roles plugin (with or without the other two plugins enabled) my admin users can't access their message inbox.  It just redirects them to the main activity page.  Has anyone else ran into this?

• Andras Szepeshazi 784 days ago

@Lee Thanks for your feedback! I can confirm the bug you reported, admins can't access their inbox any more. I'll issue a patch very soon.

• Lee 784 days ago

'preciate it!  Really nice though!

• dinesh 783 days ago

great work dude...

• Arck Interactive 781 days ago

@Everyone, the above reported issue (admins can't access their inbox) has been fixed. Recommended version is now 1.0.1.