• Category: Uncategorized
  • License: GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2
  • Updated: 2012-2-21
  • Downloads: 4878
  • Recommendations: 38

Other Projects

View Arck Interactive's plugins

Roles for Elgg 1.8

This project implements user roles for Elgg, providing more granular control over the site than Elgg's default user distinction.

Elgg basically recognizes two types of users: members (ordinary users) and administrators (users who can do everything on the site). More often than not, you'd need additional user types and associated privileges what each "user type" can do to your site.

By using this plugin, you can easily introduce custom roles, restricting groups of users to certain privileges.Please understand that the Roles plugin, in its current state, is rather a framework than a full stand-alone plugin. You'll need to make additional tweaks, or use extension plugins, to make the custom roles work.

You can find detailed documentation under docs/manual.pdf.

Release Notes:

- Enhancement: allow admins to define a role when adding a user from admin insterface

- Bugfix: the role should not default to logged in user role, when user_guid is provided

- Bugfix: reset 'roles_hash' plugin setting, when roles are deleted

- Enhancement: expose automatic reset as a plugin setting, and delete roles on plugin deactivation rather than activation

Comments

• puraminy 8 days ago

Why there is no comment for this great pluggin? anyway, I just have 'No specific role' in the role selection combo box.

• Dries 8 days ago

Because it simply works :)

You first have to set up roles (use the docs delivered with the plugin to see how it's done)After you have set up roles, you can use the users settingspage to assign a different role to the user.

• puraminy 6 days ago

@Dries

yes, its a great plugin as I mentioned but unfortunately it doesn't simply works!

I found in the disscussion of previous releases that

After changing the configuration array, make sure you visit any page on your site as admin!!!!. This is necessary for the changes to take effect.

First, its an odd requirement and I wish it could be resolved someway.

Second, if its so important I expect more emphasis on it in the documents

-----------------------------------------

Beside, How can I remove some title:add menu and keep others? for example to remove the add menu for pages and file but keep it for groups?

if i use title::add key in the menu array, it could be used just for all context or one context

• puraminy 6 days ago

I solved my second problem, sorry, I forgot context itself is an array and we can determine our desired contexts

• Edease 18 hours ago

Sound like a great plugin! Is it possible with this plugin to let members start a discussion on every group (without being a member of it)?
    Or does anybody knows another plugin to achive this?

• Valentine Masina 12 hours ago

@Edease surely I feel the same way here. Elgg needs to give us an option to site wide forums right from the core but I think they set it to groups so you cant do anything for now. What I will advise you to do is to create a new group called "General Discussion or Open forum or something like that. Put it on one of your navigation tabs and let users join it and use it as a site wide forum". If you love frameworks which I do not personally like because of future upgrades incompatibility issues (since elgg 1.9 is on the way and more) try hype forum and its framework. Having researched all reviews about site wide discussion for days and ages I found it to be the best free site wide forum.

For a paid professional plugin go to juipo the developers of the popular easy theme and ask them to do it for you. It is really feature rich and would compete with the likes of phpbb or something. If you want a direct answer on starting a discussion without being a member, that would be inapropriate because what is the point of having a group then? A forum would be recommended for that. *That is my two cents worth of opinion hope it helps.

• Edease 9 hours ago

@Valentine Masina Thanks for your input. I really like the elgg framework and appreciate what some people do here, with all plugins and such. I haven't done much researching about opening up the discussions site-wide, but when I saw this, I thought there if there was a way, this would be the place to be.

I also understand what you mean by the inapropriate question. However, the point of having a group is there you have people with that same interest, and can allow notifications on that group. When i showed the elgg framework to my coworkers they said they would like to open a discussion, and comment on them, without being a member. It kinda made sense to nme in a way, of stimulating interaction.

I will look further into this. Sorry if I went tomuch OT.  Thanks @Arck Interactive for this plugin.

• rjcalifornia 4 hours ago

Hi!

This plugin works as expected, and it is well documented.

I have a question, about the registration process. How can I set a defined profile type (i.e. roles_moderator) as default in the registration, and cannot be changed to other profile types. Kinda like a Hidden value?