Elgg installation problems

Hi,

I'm trying to install elgg to my Computer using xampp and ftp.

I downloaded the files and loaded them up to my web server and went to the elgg installation homepage. So far it worked everything just fine.

Then I was supposed to change the engine/settings.example.php to engine/settings.php which I did and the I cliced refresh.

Now, all I get is:

Welcome to Elgg. Elgg couldn't connect to the database using the given credentials.

What do I do now? The thing is, I am a non IT person, this whole thing is for a college project.
I know there is a solution in the guideline that I should enter my database infos in the php file, but I don't now how and which Infos...

Please, can somebody help me? I really need Elgg asap.

Thanks a lot!

• seems like an xampp security password wasn't set yet, set that up then set the proper password in settings.php

• ok, where in the oho script do I enter the infos?

Can you give me the exact wording?

As I said, I'm no IT person...

• in your browser, type in localhost/xampp then set up your security password. then after that go to settings.php and put root as user and put password as whatever you put on xampp. oh and make sure to make a database first before running the elgg site.

• I tried, and its still not working.

I have the database with the passwort and when I type

user root password xyz

and save the php file, the browser just stays blank when I refresh...

I'm sorry... this is really bugging me...

• clear your cache, cookies too. and retry. patience is key :)

• ok, I'll try

is the wording correct for php file? what I wrote before? Cause I typed it in exactly like that...

• type it what exactly? you're not suppose to type in localhost/engine/settings.php. just type in localhost

• no, I mean in the settings.php.

What is the exact command?

• "browser just stays blank when I refresh" Blank ? you mean you get a white screen ? (WSOD)

Then I was supposed to change the engine/settings.example.php to engine/settings.php which I did and the I cliced refresh.

What did you actually do with engine/settings.php thingy explain in full...

• yes, I got a white screen...

In the installation it said change the engine/settings.example.php to engine/settings.php, so I simply renamed it....

In another installation guideline I read that I was supposed to copy the file and then rename it. So I did that too, I have now two files, one named engine/settings.example.php and one named engine/settings.php.

What I need now is the command for the user data and password I need to enter into the file.

Thx