Installation problems!!!

I'm trying to install Elgg on a website. It is on the site's root directory. So far I'm on the installing.php (http://www.domain.com/install.php) and stuck up as I'm having problems. Whenever I hit the 'save' button an error page appears. It says:

Not Found

The requested URL /action/systemsettings/install was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.41 Server at -------.com Port 80

Help please! I have tried the trouble shooting methods from the installation documents but nothing seem to work.

Thanks in advance!

• Looks like a problem with your site url in your sites_entity database table.

I'm assuming it should be example.com/elgg/ and not the long, convoluted one you posted.

The Elgg install has a tough time automatically picking up the site url on shared servers. Change the url using phpMyAdmin or whatever your hosting site provides.

• You're correct, Cash.. URL should be short and sweet.

Yea I figured the shared hosting is the problem (using 1and1). This stuff is ALWAYS a headache to get situated. Trying out the URL change in phpmyAdmin.

• Great fix Cash.

This fix should definitely be mentioned in the troubleshooting page.

• Thanks for the pointer to the troubleshooting resource cash. Solved my problem for me. :)

• Hi! I do have the same problem as you, Benjamin... but, to be honest, basically i don't know how to change the URL in the elgg_site_entry database table. I can access to PhpMyAdmin but don't know how to figure it out...

I'm getting started in managing phpmyadmin so I would appreciate help.

thanks!!

• @xav - Browse the elgg_sites_entity table and you should see one row with the wrong URL. Edit it to make it right (don't forget the / at the end).

If you're just starting out and not comfortable editing raw SQL, you can always just delete the database and start again the installation again.

• I am try to install elgg 1.7.6 on a remote server but it gives me the report 

"Elgg couldn't connect to the database using the given credentials."

I have contacted my host administrator and they are able to connect from their side.advice me

• @kxx4:

Check your settings.php in the engine folder. Does it exist yet? What entries are there for the following variables?

$CONFIG->dbuser
    $CONFIG->dbpass
    $CONFIG->dbname
    $CONFIG->dbhost
    $CONFIG->dbprefix

Are the entries correct? If not, you can correct them. If the file settings.php does not exist yet, you can rename the file settings.example.php to settings.php (or copy the file with the new name settings.php).

Then edit in settings.php the following lines (remove the {{ }}):

// Database username
    $CONFIG->dbuser = 'your_database_username';

// Database password
    $CONFIG->dbpass = 'your_password';

// Database name
    $CONFIG->dbname = 'your_database_name';

// Database server
    // (For most configurations, you can leave this as 'localhost')
    $CONFIG->dbhost = 'localhost';

// Database table prefix
    // If you're sharing a database with other applications, you will want to use this
    // to differentiate Elgg's tables. (Set it to elgg_ otherwise)
    $CONFIG->dbprefix = 'elgg_';

If it still doesn't work it's likely a permission issue with accessing the mysql database.

• @ iionly:Thanks ,I got connected to th database and did all the sit set up.It seems I hav to removed ssl login from my site. How can I configure the site to login without SSL

• @kxx4: I've never used SSL myself. Isn't it enough to just uncheck "Enable HTTPS logins" in Site Administration?