Failed Installation... Again!

I had a really nasty feeling this wasn't going to be smooth when i woke up this morning..

Okay so:

Using LAMP.

Files uploaded,

Data folder created and permissions set,
Set .htaccess
Database created (empty),
Ran install.php,
Entered Database details and hit continue,
= Blank Screen

Error log shows this:

[Fri Jan  2 14:39:28 2009] [error] [client xx.xx.xxx.xxx] FastCGI: server "/var/www/fcgi/php-cgi" stderr: *** FATAL EXCEPTION *** : exception 'InstallationException' with message 'Once you've corrected any configuration issues, press reload to try again.' in /home/fhlinux147/b/xxxxxx.co.uk/user/htdocs/engine/start.php:143[Fri Jan  2 14:39:28 2009] [error] [client xx.xx.xxx.xxx] FastCGI: server "/var/www/fcgi/php-cgi" stderr: Stack trace:[Fri Jan  2 14:39:28 2009] [error] [client xx.xx.xxx.xxx] FastCGI: server "/var/www/fcgi/php-cgi" stderr: #0 /home/fhlinux147/b/xxxxxxxxx.co.uk/user/htdocs/index.php(17): require_once()[Fri Jan  2 14:39:28 2009] [error] [client xx.xx.xxx.xxx] FastCGI: server "/var/www/fcgi/php-cgi" stderr: #1 {main}

Line 141-143 that it refers to:

} else {	// End portion for sanitised installs only						throw new InstallationException(elgg_echo('installation:error:configuration'));

From what i can see, nothing has been added to the database when this happens (database is still completely empty)

I have searched my ass off to try and find a solution.

I'm fairly certain that my server meets the requirements but have no clue what to do next. Please Help!

• It looks like PHP isn't being run as an Apache module, rather its running as CGI. Try disabling FastCGI and installing libapache-mod-php5.

Note: You may already have it installed but your config is defaulting to CGI (which many shared hosts do)

• Okay so,

My webhost says no (repeatedly). They run FastCGI and will not change it. The problem is that i have a large number of sites hosted with them on a bulk package so i cant just up and switch hosts. It also means that i have the luxury of virtually unlimited free bandwidth that may prove crutial if the new site is popular. The last thing i want to do is host it with a seperate company unless someone can reccommend a great company that wont leave me out of pocket.   

Where does this leave me? Excuse my ignorance, i don't know a huge amount about the workings of PHP. I assume there is no work around or hack to enable me to use it on the server? And if thats the case, are there any alternatives to elgg?

I'm really not pleased... the software looks fantastic and i was looking forward to working with it.

• Thanks for the link cash, unfortunately they will only run Apache in one configuration... Time for a new webhost i feel.

• Im new to Elgg and I'm completely stumped by the whole thing lol. Please forgive my ignorance.

I have uploaded all stuff onto server and have begun the set up process and i keep getting this message EVERYTIME...You don't have permission to access /data/elgg1.2/action/systemsettings/install on this server.

I don't understand, any help will be HUGELY appreciated.

Thank you

• Try reading this: http://docs.elgg.org/wiki/Troubleshooting

my guess is that mod_rewrite is not setup correctly on your server.

• I cant seem to (Im real newbie) to get my head around this. Is there anyway to have something I can just 'Copy/Paste'?

Maybe if I post my .htaccess here and you point out where I'm going wrong?

I really appreciate all your help

Thx

• Why did you install elgg in /data/elgg1.2/? And how would your webserver have access to that directory for serving pages? Now that I look at your error message again, I bet you wrongly entered some data in the installation settings. Try blowing away this installation - delete the files and drop the database. Reinstall and write down what you enter in the settings. If you're still having trouble, post those settings here.

• What you posted doesn't include the settings. I need to know where you're trying to instal elgg and what you set for the site URL.

• Oh I am sorry, I just copied and pasted, assumed it had all... feel like a a bit of a tard.

Ok this is whatI got to:

The site URL, followed by a trailing slash: http://anxpan.com/social/elgg1.2/

The full path to your site root on your disk, followed by a trailing slash: /home/anxpan/public_html/social/elgg1.2/

The full path to the directory where uploaded files will be stored, followed by a trailing slash: ("I LEFT BLANK")

The next page after clicking save is:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /social/elgg1.2/action/systemsettings/install on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.