Using php script in HTML page and right hand pane problem

I have an Elgg powered site at http://gardenerschat-shed.net using Betty Jones' modified Buddychat template

On the external pages (homepage) on that site I wish to use a php script that calls up random quotes. I already have this script working on our main site at http://aberaeronallotments.org"

However as the external pages on the Elgg powered site are apparently HTML a php script won't run because the page needs to run in has to be saved with the extension .php.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can achieve this?

Also as a "by the way". When I edit the external pages, the first text editor is for a

lefthand information pane

There's another editor below it that is for a righthand information pane hand. Regardeless of what is entered in the righthand information pane nothing appears on the site.

Can someone clarify why this is please? Or am I missing something elementary here?!

Many Thanks,

G.

• The page I'm editing is 'External Pages' in the administration menu in Elgg and 'Front Page' tab selected in the editing page of external pages. (By the way I'm using a customised version of Betty Jones' Buddychat template - whether that sheds any light on matters I don't know). If you want to view things at a deeper level in Firebug or similar the site is at: http://gardenerschat-shed.net

Just checked again now, and if I insert the <?php include("quotes.php"); ?> line in the 'Front Page' coding and save it - nothing happens when I view it in 'Home' i.e. the includes does not get called up and when I go back to editing the code in the page the line of coding is not there! ???

It's almost as if there's a function in the programme that does not allow you to insert that line of coding. Does that make sense to you?

Listen Dhrup, I've got to go now - need zzzzs for an early start in the morning. Can I pick this up with you tomorrow? Or send me a mail at the address in my profile.

Thanks - Good Night - catch you tomorrow?

G.

• Looks like EVERYONE went for zzzzzs! (permanently)

• i usually go for zzz's 3am every nite.. if you want to be helped quick.. be ready with detailed info so we can follow quickly and make quick smarty-a suggestion. so far.. u bin talking in some circles.. e.g. if you (ahh my fave..) posted that code of yours that duz not work - it may take someone else 10 secs to spot problem.

• Have you shut off your htmlawed?  This blocks some coding from being saved if wrote with in elgg

• Thank you Dhrup for the pass along, however I do not use the externalpages plugin.  I code my external pages by hand.

Random quotes, scope, tips.  I recoded quotes with script and changed everything to tips.  Same idea different structure.  Available for download on goofbucket

• Thanks everyone. Sorry I've been a bit slow coming back, but replies are a bit like waiting for London buses here you wait ages for one and then they all turn up together!

It seems the 'external pages' are saved as html files so they are not php enabled consequently they don't respond to a php call up. I've done a work around for the time being by inserting a php snippet in the "mod/buddytalk/views/default/canvas/layouts" so that the random quotes appear at the top of the left hand pane above the Front Page in external pages. Not ideal but it does the job.

Got another problem though - if you fancy a collective head scratch in this same post.

In FF, Opera and Chrome when I go to "All site albums" the album covers stretch out beyond the width of the page. Any ideas how I can rectify this?

Thanks,

G.