worlds largest elgg site 'The Profile Engine' is now public - Major enhancements to elgg 1.8

The Profile Engine began life as the worlds largest social network search engine. With addition of an elgg front end it has become a fully fledged social network.

We have had our fork of elgg under intensive development for the last three months and have done some amazing stuff. We now invite the elgg community to be among the very first people to experience the all-new profile engine.

Some of the key enhancements we have made to elgg include:

Full site AJAX which degrades nicely for crawlers or if javascript is off.

Integrated music/video player which will continue to play as you navigate the site, thanks to the AJAX.

Integrated Facebook chat bar with single sign-on.

420 Million personal profiles.

50 Million groups.

20 Billion data points (friendships and group memberships)

Powerful custom-built search engine based on sphinx.

We have had to heavily modify elgg in some respects so unfortunately our work can't all feed directly into the core elgg code but wherever possible we will be open-sourcing and releasing our work as plugins or adapting it to work with a standard elgg install, as soon as time and resources allow.

At the moment, a lot of features are still disabled or incomplete but it's time to start letting people use the site while we continue to develop it. Currently the only option for login is using Facebook.

Chances are that you already have a profile engine profile, just log in with Facebook to claim it!

We would be very keen to hear your feedback, either on this topic or (especially for bugs) please use the feedback link provided at the bottom of the page on the site to access our feedback forum.

So without further delay, here's the link... please check it out!

http://profileengine.com

Chris

• What is the GitHub Project name for the fork ?

• Currently it's a private fork but we have granted access to the core elgg team.

The reason for this is that we have to be incredibly careful to protect the huge amount of personal data on the site and while under development the code includes hard coded ip addresses, debugging stuff etc. which we don't want to publicly reveal.

We intend to make most of our code public as soon as we have time to review it and make sure it doesn't present any security risk. Right now we're focused on intensive development and things are changing so fast it isn't the right time to open-source our work.

• good afternoon.. hoa mara ;) and you would deny access to "DhrupDeScoop" ? p'raps you do not know the DDS ;( while you're looking for 'feedback"... i.e. someone musta told you the lie that DDS can't keep secrets ;-P.. your loss.

• Nice idea, really nice idea, but very ugly design... just saying :)

• 'The Profile Engine' is now public - but nothing else is for GPL - the code is top-secret lolz ;-) guys.. so come up here, spend some of your valuable time, evaluate this new site toro mierda thang and send in your precious evaluations to claydon, chris via domains@profile.to

• Hi Joaz, thanks for the feedback.

We've been focused on getting the technical stuff right so far, the design hasn't had a lot of attention yet and it certainly needs some improvement. Do you have any specific suggestions?

• If  you want, i can do a UI draft, just keep my credits on design. ok?

• Dhrup, We have given the core elgg team full access to our code throughout the development process and made it clear that they are welcome to make use of our work to improve elgg. Please take your trolling somewhere else, it is clear that you have nothing constructive to contribute.

Joaz, thanks very much, I sent you a private message.

• Peter M

Dear Mr Chris,
    I have followed your comments..
    "420 Million personal profiles." ? wow ! (b/s)
    You, sir, do not need the blessings from anyone from Elgg at all .
    You are already "great" by your own self.. Sir!

• Congratulations for going public with the site, Chris. I know it involved a lot of hard work.

Feedback and Planning

Feedback and Planning

Discussions about the past, present, and future of Elgg and this community site.